Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• manwood 87 posts 109 karma points
    Sep 13, 2013 @ 12:23
    manwood

Different membership roles/levels with different access to content - is this possible?

Is it relatively easy to have different categories or roles within the membership provider and customise the access to content for each role? 

If so, how do I go about this?

thanks

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Sep 13, 2013 @ 12:35
    Jamie Pollock

Hi manwood, This certainly is possible, with 3 potential options available to you, which can use in conjunction, in the Users section of the Umbraco backend.

1. User page - Start Node in Content & Start Node in Media allow you to choose what content & media they are given to access to. If you only want your user to see the News page section of content simply select the news page and they will only have access to that section.

2. User types - by specify a user type on the User page this act like a role in traditional .net security. By being a certain User type will determine what permissions a user has. Whether they can publish items, access the audit trail or delete items, etc.

3. User permissions - For more bespoke permissions, like the User type permissions but on a per person, per content node basis. User permissions allows you to tailor access on the most precise level.

I hope this help!

Jamie

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Sep 13, 2013 @ 12:54
    Jamie Pollock

Hi manwood

I think I miss read your question, so I guess you meant membership as users logging into the actual website rather than Umbraco itself (as this would be Users) and by Content you mean the website. The membership system is set in the Members section of the Umbraco back office.

Umbraco's membership is very similar to asp.net's role based authentication. A user can be a type and then they also have roles. These roles can then determine what content users have access to by using the "Public Access" feature in content.

Find the content you wish to protect, right-click and select "Public access". You'll then be given which type of authentication you want to apply to the content. Either simple authentication which is a basic password system or Roles based protection which allows you to specify which roles can access it.

You can use the default .net MembershipProvider API to access which roles a user is in to then tailor the content further.

I hope this help!

Jamie

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft