Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Inx51 54 posts 107 karma points
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 21:04
    Inx51

Change master content type for content type

Hi! I know this has most likely been asked a hundreds of times.. But how do I change the master content type for an already existing content type.. I have found a few posts telling me to change the cmsContentType.masterContentType.. However.. Im not sure if it is that I'm using SQL CE or if its since Umbraco v6.x But that column doesn't exist... I have however changed the values in cmsContentType2ContentType.. but once I reload the node of all content types.. nothing has happened.. Where is this relationship defined?..Am I missing something?

Br, Inx

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 23:32
    Funka!

From 2009 : http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-259 . No official resolution or support as far as I know. :-(

Although I think have run across some workarounds and suggestions, such as using "export document type" and then re-importing? (although I'm not sure what happens to existing documents).

There is also the idea to export entire sections of your website to a package, delete them off the server, then manually edit the package XML on your local machine and upload/re-import. This is relatively easy to do once you know how but does seem pretty extreme. (Plus, you lose things like revision history, permissions, etc. so I really only suggest this on new sites or in development.)

Good luck to you!

• Inx51 54 posts 107 karma points
    Nov 08, 2013 @ 23:58
    Inx51

Oh ok.. so if I get this right.. you cant (In anyway) change the master content type? Now that's a huge design-flaw.. And it isn't possible to change it using any of the methods in the API either? Been trying to find a method or a combination of methods for solving this.. but no luck so far..

Nov 09, 2013 @ 04:11
    Funka!

One other idea I forgot to mention is a package called DocTypeMixins { http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/doctypemixins } which might help, depending on your circumstances...

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 09, 2013 @ 07:16
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Inx51,

I've never liked the inheritance of DocTypes - whenever I've taken over a site that used them extensively, it's always been the case that their setup were never flexible enough for the type of change we needed (i.e., the master we needed to put a new property on for all to inherit it, had too many properties, so new documents would get redundant properties, confusing the editors.)

I'd go with DocTypeMixins - it works great for this, and makes it much more flexible to change stuff around.

That said, a true implementation of being able to change master doctype would probably be nice, but I imagine it being very tricky to design/implement because of the many many scenarios it'd need to take into account.

/Chriztian

Nov 11, 2013 @ 21:51
    Funka!

Hello Chriztian,

The problem you describe with too many properties sometimes on the master doctype is one I've run into as well, but found the uHidesy package which is nice for (as a developer) hiding properties and tabs you don't want exposed in certain cases.

Of course this doesn't help with the current question on how to change a doctype, but just wanted to comment on your own comment!

Nov 13, 2013 @ 07:21
    Funka!

For reference and posterity, another thread I ran across recently with some other suggestions: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/templating/templates-and-document-types/43487-Change-document-type-inheritance-in-Umbraco-6

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft