Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• SinkyPars 132 posts 175 karma points
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 20:21
    SinkyPars

Macro Content Length?

Hello all,

When we enter unusually long content into a macro text field the backend seems to hang.

Has anyone else experiecned this issue and perhaps can suggest a fix?

We are using 6.1.5

Many thanks

Scott

Nov 27, 2013 @ 20:34
    SinkyPars

I should also mention that the macro does allow you to enter large amounts of content which is displayed on the site.

The issue occurs when trying to open the macro properties after saving the long content.

Thanks

Scott

Nov 27, 2013 @ 21:41
    SinkyPars

OK, I have narrowed the issue down to /umbraco/plugins/tinymce3/insertMacro.aspx throwing a 404.

Any help is much appreciated.

Nov 28, 2013 @ 16:35
    SinkyPars

*Sigh*

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 29, 2013 @ 11:52
    Tim

How long is unusually long (100s of character, 1000s)? What other parameters does the macro have? What does the actual macro do? Does the macro render slowly on the front end too, or is this issue JUST when you add the macro in the Richtext Editor?

Have you tried with less text? Is there a specific amount of text that causes the issue?

You say you've narrowed the issue down to the insertMacro page throwing a 404. Is there a specific line number that you've noticed the error on? Do you have a stack trace for the 404?

You need to provide a bit more information if you want any meaningful help!

If you can provide an example of the kind of text that's causing the issue, we'll be able to try and repo your issue.

Dec 02, 2013 @ 11:52
    SinkyPars

Hello Tim,

The macro does work with less text. The macro also does display in the RTE and the front end however the issue arises when we try to change the properties (the property editor is just a white box and the javascript error occurs). 

The error can be found below:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

/umbraco/plugins/tinymce3/insertMacro.aspx?editor=trueurl&umb_macroalias=.........

The macro takes user content and simply formats it out to the front end. The content is plain text.

Many thanks

Scott

• Sunshine Lewis 31 posts 140 karma points c-trib
    Nov 18, 2014 @ 20:10
    Sunshine Lewis

I know this is an old post but I've just run into the problem in 7.1.4.

I'm building a macro that allows the user to paste in code from 3rd party widgets. It takes a single parameter from a text area.

Just like the original poster, the macro actually works, but when it's inserted (or edited) from the backend it calls /umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Macro/GetMacroResultAsHtmlForEditor which returns a 404 if the text in the parameter text area is too long. It works if the text is shorter.

I think the 404 is happening because it's hitting the url limits imposed by the browsers/web servers/etc. The longest url I could make work was 2138 characters (for the entire url) which is over the max url length commonly advertised for IE.

My question though... should the GetMacroResultAsHtmlForEditor even be running if the macro is not set to display in the RTE? Since the macro appears to work, I'm only trying to prevent the scary red 404 message from popping up.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft