Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Claire Botman 48 posts 77 karma points
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 08:31
    Claire Botman

How to let an editor edit prevalues

First of all let me say what a pleasure it is to be working with this fantastic CMS, I'm having so much fun!

Anyway, I've setup a website where I've got an "Artwork" doc type, with "media", and "subject" properties.

I don't know if it's correct but I've created custom datatypes based on dropdownlists and added prevalues for each of these datatypes, then added the properties to the Artists/artworks.  Similary I have "Artist"s with a "suburb" property.

So my editors can select the appropriate media & so on for the artwork in question, it all works great.  My question is, how can I enable my editors to add prevalues to these datatypes?

There doesn't seem to be any way to give user types access to a subset of the developer section, and obviously it wouldn't be a great idea to give them the lot.

So I'm thinking it's either a custom form, or there might be some way in the API I can give the user type that access.  Has anyone done something similar?

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 08:57
    Hendy Racher

Hi Claire,

One approach could be to use the UltimatePicker rendercontrol.

For example to allow editors to add pre-values for the Suburb field of Artist, you could create 2 new docTypes - Suburbs and Suburb (parent child hierarachy). The editors can then add new instances of the Suburb doctype to the content tree (I tend to have two root nodes - one for the site, and another for the back office where categorisation doctypes like these exist since they aren't intended to be rendered as pages).

The suburb property on the artist docType can then use your datatype using the UltimatePicker, where it's parent node setting is that of the node id of the Suburbs node in the content tree.

HTH,

Hendy

• Claire Botman 48 posts 77 karma points
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 09:19
    Claire Botman

Yes, that's it!  I was wondering what the UltimatePicker was for, now I know.  And I like your idea of having 2 root nodes, thankyou!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft