Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Giles Dermody 14 posts 35 karma points
    Oct 22, 2009 @ 10:22
    Giles Dermody

Integrating Amazon's CDN with Umbraco

Does anyone know if it is possible to integrate Amazon Cloudfront with Umbraco? I would be very interested in being able to serve uploaded media images via the CDN rather than off our my server and obviously then rewrite the URLs to point to their Cloudfront location once they are uploaded.

I think I have seen someone mentioning writing a custom upload control on the archived forum but would anyone please be able to provide some simple code examples or briefly describe the necessary steps in order to do this?

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Oct 22, 2009 @ 12:48
    dandrayne

I can't help directly with your question, but the source code of a multiple file upload package is available from http://noerd.dk/umbraco-ressources/multiple-file-upload/noerd.Umb.DataTypes.multipleFileUpload_source_1.1.zip. ; You may be able to learn from it?

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Oct 24, 2009 @ 12:19
    Tom Maton

Hi Giles,

I have actually just completed a Package that connects to the Amazon S3.

IN the media section you can see you complete S3 account.

1. Create new folders in your S3 account
    2. Upload documents to a specific fodler you have created
    3. add the Amazons3 as a datatype so you can navigate through your S3 account to add images, docs etc to your site.

I am just finishing testing, so if your interested I can send you over a copy, you can be my guinea pig

Tom

Oct 27, 2009 @ 13:34
    Giles Dermody

Tom I'd be very interested in the package you mentioned - it sounds exactly like something I need. Feel free to make me your umbraco guinea pig (-:

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 14:22
    Chris Koiak

Tom - Are you planning to release this as free package or commercial?

Oct 29, 2009 @ 10:37
    Tom Maton

Hi Giles,

Cool, once I have finished the pdf doc I will send over the entire package for you to cast your eyes over.

Chris,

I was thinking of doing it as a commercial package, but then would of ran into problems of supporting the product as working full time and trying to support a paid package, I would not of been able to support such a package as much as I would of liked to, plus with the amount of free packages I have already used, i thought it would only be fair to give back.

Tom

Oct 29, 2009 @ 16:10
    Giles Dermody

Fantastic, Tom - thank you very much

Nov 04, 2009 @ 18:10
    Tom Maton

Giles, do you have an email I could send to? As it will be done by the weekend.

Tom

Nov 04, 2009 @ 18:46
    Giles Dermody

Yes indeedy - please send to [email protected] . Thanks again

Nov 07, 2009 @ 17:53
    Tom Maton

Hi Giles,

Sent you over the package today.

Tom

• Chris McVittie 103 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 07, 2009 @ 18:12
    Chris McVittie

This is really good - I've been thinking S3 is the way forward for the media section for a while now, and am so glad that someone has beaten me to it

Nov 07, 2009 @ 19:32
    Tom Maton

Hi Chris,

Glad you think its a really good idea.

The main idea is because i felt that it could make Umbraco run quicker on larger sites as there would be no media nodes stored in the cmsContentXML table making the retrieval of content quicker as you could select your files with a data type (going to build it into Tiny MCE soon).

Tom

• Antony Briggs 78 posts 103 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 11:20
    Antony Briggs

Hey Tom, Did you get anywhere with this package? Or do you need any more guinea pigs? I've a client that wants to upload oodles of MP3 recordings to their site and S3 would be a cost effective way to ease the burden on my server..

Did I say please? ;)

Nov 12, 2009 @ 17:49
    Tom Maton

abriggs - yep its done and sent the package out to Giles the other day.

The more Guinea pigs the better - send me an email to: letstalk [at] tom-maton [co.uk] and I will send you over a copy of the package.

I will try to setup a codeplex at the weekend for people to down load and log bugs.

anyone else what to test it out??

Tom

• Chris McVittie 103 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 19:28
    Chris McVittie

please - not sure what availability i've got to do it, but will try and make time!

chris ... greenflump ...  com

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Nov 13, 2009 @ 10:30
    dandrayne

Hi Tom

I'd also definitely be interested in this - a perfect fit for an upcoming project.  I'll email you, or you can catch me at dan [at] geckonm [dotcom].

Cheers!
    Dan

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 13, 2009 @ 10:39
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Tom, it would be interesting to see your implementation, I also just implemented the basics of this in my current project, so maybe we can learn from each other: sebastiaan at cultiv . nl

Nov 16, 2009 @ 15:12
    Tom Maton

Hi Guys,

Sent package on Saturday.

Hopefully Codeplex will be up and running ASAP.

Cheers

Tom

• Sean Thompson 14 posts 34 karma points
    May 06, 2010 @ 23:20
    Sean Thompson

I know its been awhile but are there any updates on this? I dont use Amazon, but do use CloudFiles and want to do exactly this wirth our Umbraco site. Is this up on Codeplex yet or Tom could you email it to me to look over? Idbe very appreciative. sean . thompson [@] trailerpark . com

May 07, 2010 @ 21:39
    Tom Maton

Hi Sean,

The project can be found at:

Codeplex http://amazons3umbraco.codeplex.com/

or

Umbraco projects http://our.umbraco.org/projects/amazon-s3-datatype

It is still basic but working on an integration into Richtext Editor

Tom

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    May 27, 2010 @ 23:09
    Amir Khan

Hi Tom, thanks for this package. Does the package actually deliver content from CloudFront or S3? My understanding is that you have to serve content through CloudFront, even though the files are on S3, to get the benefits of the CDN.

May 31, 2010 @ 22:43
    Tom Maton

HI Amir,

You there is a doctype in the project that allows you to select a document from the S3.

You just need to add it to a doctype or media type and then you can access the S3 account.

Tom

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jun 01, 2010 @ 22:07
    Amir Khan

Hi Tom, I understand that part, my question is whether S3 is actually a CDN? I thought Cloudfront was Amazon's Content Delivery Network, which draws files from S3, and the title of this thread implies that this is an umbraco / cdn integration. Not sure if I'm missing something here, or if this is just a configuration setting on Amazon's end...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft