Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mikew910 14 posts 29 karma points
    Oct 24, 2009 @ 02:10
    mikew910

C# Class Library question

Anyone know how I set the connection string from within a class library written in c#, at the moment I get a ArgumentNullExption parameter cannot be null: connection string. Can umbraco read this from anywhere besides web.config?

thanks

Mike

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Oct 24, 2009 @ 07:36
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Mike,

What are you trying to do? Umbraco reads its connectionstring from the web.config. so if you want to change it change it there. Maybe if you give more info why you want to change the connectionstring people can help you.

Cheers,

Richard

• anthony hall 222 posts 536 karma points
    Oct 24, 2009 @ 10:32
    anthony hall

have you added system.Configuration to your class library?

Oct 24, 2009 @ 11:22
    mikew910

Hi Richard, many thanks for the reply - here's a bit of background of what im attempting. I have a series of methods in an asmx that basically correspond to different mime types eg. like an audio file (below). . the base methods all work fine from usercontrols i deploy - what i really want is to make a series of webmethods , so i can connect a rich client written in as3

my custom webmethod   

[WebMethod]
            public bool CreateAudioDocument(string caption, string body, string fileData)
            {
                byte[] content = Convert.FromBase64String(fileData);
                Orbitalmedia.CMS.api.documenttypes.Audio.CreateAudioDocument(caption, body, content);
                return true;     
            } 

I looked into the source code of umbraco.business and found the area I might need to override but so far trying to setup VS to debug umbraco.business with my solution is challenging - the hope was to encapsulate the umbraco related function in the class lib and just import my class lib into the webservice

from GlobalSettings in umbraco.business

protected static void SaveSetting(string key, string value)
            {
                ExeConfigurationFileMap webConfig = new ExeConfigurationFileMap();
                webConfig.ExeConfigFilename = FullpathToRoot + "web.config";

Configuration config =
                    ConfigurationManager.OpenMappedExeConfiguration(webConfig, ConfigurationUserLevel.None);
                config.AppSettings.Settings[key].Value = value;
                config.Save();
                ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection("appSettings");
            }

any ideas appreciated

cheers !

Mike

Oct 24, 2009 @ 12:09
    mikew910

Thanks Anthony yea done that.. its not a normal base class exception in c# - the issue i think is main how to supply whats required to umbraco outside of its appdomain. at the moment i just recieve connection string null - but a class library doesnt use a web.config but its own settings file..

cheers

Oct 26, 2009 @ 07:02
    mikew910

Maybe this can be done from the existing webservices in umbraco ? - only caveat I see is I'm uploading a file as a base64 encoded string through the webmethod - anyone have any experience uploading a file through the umbraco api or a better idea than what i've presented ?

cheers

Mike

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft