Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Niclas Schumacher 67 posts 87 karma points
    Mar 07, 2014 @ 20:24
    Niclas Schumacher

UHangout ep06, why range instead of ids? examine.

Hello guys. 

I just saw Ismails UHangout on a examine implementation he did, and what a great why to see how a pro does Examine! 

http://uhangout.co.uk/#/view/DyEeAe0WV6Y - great stuff!

To be honest, i write this in the hopes of Imail catching it to aswer, but thought that others should have the possiblity to take advantage of the outcome. 

While i was watching it, i keept thinking, - Why does he store the min and max value of the property instead of just using the id on the feature node, which already is stored ?

I my opinion, it would only make sense if the product had numbers as values instead of direct references to the particulare as he had.

On a product there were, for instance, the posibility to choose one of the following ranges: 10-20,21-30,31-40 etc. which was values of another node. And these id's was stored on the node, as umbraco does it normally. But he filled the Index with different data, for each property there was a min_ and a min_ with value. And these values was used to search against with the data in the select list. 

Maybe its me who's a bit clouded, but i really can't see the idear of why i used the min and max, when the selectlists could have been id's(from the nodes in umbraco). Why not search for ids instead ? 

How i see it is that what he did was like instead of putting a id of a category on node, he put the name of the category on the node. Which i can't quite follow.

Just to be clear, this isn't AT ALL to look down on or criticize what he did, im just trying to understand why he did it. He has helped bunches of times here in the forums, helping out with my trial and error path on Examine and Lucene :) 

Have a good friday.

Best Regards.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft