Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christian W. Larsen 27 posts 49 karma points
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 01:58
    Christian W. Larsen

No nodes

All of a sudden I get the "no nodes" splash screen on my site.The backend seems to work - all the nodes are there. I can edit and create new nodes.

I have tried republishing the entire site, publishing all nodes, created a new root node. 

One odd thing - when I sort the nodes in the root, I can see a node in the sort list which has been deleted.

Maybe there are one or more corrupted nodes or some missing links in the database. Any suggestions where to look?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 06:10
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Christian,

I would take a look at the /data/umbraco.config file. This is where Umbraco stores the published data. The rootnode of your site must be the first childnode. Also check that the network service account of your host can read and write to that file.

Cheers,

Richard

Oct 27, 2009 @ 09:50
    Christian W. Larsen

Thanks,Richard.

Turns out that the umbraco.config file doesn't exist.

I then tried to copy the file from a backup (knowing that it does not contain the latests datat). Still not workning - and the file dissapears when I republish the site.

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 09:54
    skiltz

Umbraco should automatically recreate the umbraco.config if there isn't one.  Did you check the permissions?

Oct 27, 2009 @ 10:10
    Christian W. Larsen

I would have thoght so too :) Yes,the permissions are correct. Even gave the network service full control. 

I guess something goes wrong when umbraco tries to generate the file and that it could be due to wrong or missing references between the documents in the database.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 10:13
    Richard Soeteman

What do you mean with Missing references? Do you get errors when you open a document in Umbraco?

Oct 27, 2009 @ 11:09
    Christian W. Larsen

By missing references I mean e.g. a node with a reference to a non existing parent. But it doesn't seem to be the case.

I can open, create, edit documents in Umbraco.

Nov 03, 2009 @ 14:24
  • Giorgos Grispos 145 posts 179 karma points
    Jun 17, 2011 @ 15:08
    Giorgos Grispos

Hello,

I know it's an old issue but today happened to me as well.
    It's a permissions problem and I am 100% psossitive. Websiste has a couple of thousand articles, everything was working fine until the no nodes splash screen comes up. I just logged in and republish the entire site and everything was back in order. I checked the windows server logs and I got this message

Message: Access to the path '...........\App_Data\umbraco.config' is denied.

The question is why this happened? A first thought is that for some reason another process already was using that file and couldn't be created again. 

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Giorgos

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft