Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kenny Burns 173 posts 305 karma points
    Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:40
    Kenny Burns

ContentService.Published - Throw Error Bubble or Show Error Message

Hello,

I have a custom event which is being called on ContentService.Published (when saving and publishing a document) which is shown below.

This custom event makes a call out to an api but if for whatever reason there is an issue an exception is thrown. I want to be able to handle this exception gracefully, either throught the little notification bubble in the bottom right or if possible show an error at the top of the page after saving and publising a document.

I thought what I had below would work but the bubble isn't showing - i have a feeling it is being overriden by the "Content Published - visible on front end" bubble which is coming up.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Kenny

private static void ContentService_Published(IPublishingStrategy sender, PublishEventArgs<IContent> e)
            {          
                try
                {
                   //CALL TO API / DO STUFF
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {
                    var clientTool = new Umbraco.Web.UI.Pages.ClientTools((System.Web.UI.Page)HttpContext.Current.CurrentHandler);
                    clientTool.ShowSpeechBubble(SpeechBubbleIcon.Error, "EVENTBRITE ERROR", ex.Message);
                }
            }
  • Stephen Roberts 47 posts 516 karma points c-trib
    Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:53
    Stephen Roberts

I'm not sure that would work as its supposed to be created on the page in use and uses the object (I guess) get create the relevant js. Creating your object won't be read by the basepage, a quick google foo shows this related item herehttp://stackoverflow.com/questions/14255753/how-to-stop-umbraco-from-displaying-speech-bubble

maybe try something along the lines of 

void ContentService_Published(IPublishingStrategy sender, PublishEventArgse)

{

((BasePage)HttpContext.Current.Handler).ClientTools.ShowSpeechBubble(SpeechBubbleIcon.Error, "Error", "Problem");

}

if this doesnt work (I havnt tested it)

try to replace HttpContext.Current.Handler with one of the other values HttpContext.Current.CurrentHandler, 

edit: further google foo from the soeteman monster, http://www.richardsoeteman.net/PermaLink,guid,f470b6cf-40da-4aa9-a0d9-7b984fe9bf59.aspx says

"During this demo someone asked if it's possible to show a custom message in the speechbubble event when an event is canceled. This is not possible (tested it this morning), I've created an item on CodePlex."

• Kenny Burns 173 posts 305 karma points
    Apr 10, 2014 @ 13:29
    Kenny Burns

Thanks Stephen.

Yeah i think it looks more like the first link you mention (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14255753/how-to-stop-umbraco-from-displaying-speech-bubble) where my custom speech bubble is being overriden by an umbraco one. 

I guess I will keep trying - got to be a way!

Keny

• Martin Lingstuyl 202 posts 379 karma points
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 11:35
    Martin Lingstuyl

Hi Kenny,

Did you get a solution?

Martin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft