Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Olbert 87 posts 117 karma points
    Oct 29, 2009 @ 14:59
    Mark Olbert

Custom Templates and User Controls

Not sure if this is the right section for this question, but here goes.

I've built a website I'm pretty happy with using Umbraco. I really like the way content management is handled, and how the "structure" (e.g., templates, macros, xslt) is handled and managed.

But I find that anytime I need some custom logic on a page -- say, a wizard-based login process -- I create a custom template in Visual Studio to use in Umbraco. This has lead to a bunch of templates.

Is this best practice for Umbraco? Am I missing something about how to use the framework? That wouldn't be surprising, given how new I am to Umbraco :). What do other people do?

- Mark

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Oct 29, 2009 @ 18:43
    Chris Houston

Hi Mark,

If I understand you correctly, then yes, what you have described is what most experienced Umbraco users would call best practice ( including me ) you should take a look at Douglas Robar's blog and download his presentation he gave at Code Garden 09, in the presentation Doug explains about how ever type of page is different and contains different data, so why try and squeeze them all into the same shaped box when you can have different boxes ( documenttypes ) for each type of template. With each documenttype usually comes a custom template.

Don't forget to use the hierarchical document types to group logical document type properties that are used on multiple pages, these do not necessary relate in any way to the hierarchical structure you have within your master page templates.

I hope this helps :)

Chris

• Mark Olbert 87 posts 117 karma points
    Oct 29, 2009 @ 18:53
    Mark Olbert

Yes, it does. Thanks!

- Mark

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft