Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ryios 122 posts 263 karma points
    May 29, 2014 @ 17:27
    Ryios

Merge Users And Members

Is it possible, by creating a custom membership provider, to merge Umbraco Users and Members together.

We want to have a single login for our entire system, including the umbraco back office with no multi account management.

I can easily create a Membership Provider that stores users in our CRM or w/e we want them, but if I swap out the Umbraco Users and Members Membership Provider with mine, will umbraco play nice with it, or complain?

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    May 31, 2014 @ 15:13
    Charles Afford

Hi, why are you trying to merge members and users together?

Do you mean that if a user has a login to the backend umbraco they should have a login to the front end of the site?

You could just write your own implimentation of MembershipProvider and validate the user/member that way.

Just create a class that impliments MembershipProvider,

The in the webconfig put you namespace and .cs file name in this:

<add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider"
      type="your namespace and class"
      enablePasswordRetrieval="false"
      enablePasswordReset="false"
      requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
      defaultMemberTypeAlias="WebsiteUser" 

passwordFormat="Hashed" />

Jun 06, 2014 @ 07:21
    Ryios

We have our own user database. I want to store all of the users there.

It's easy to make a membership provider to it, already have.

But I'm not sure if I can replace both provider lines with mine. E.g. it could have an extended membership user class and not work with mine.

Jul 02, 2014 @ 06:21
    Ryios

Basically, what I'm trying to do is have one membership provider that has a configuration setting called "UsersOnly".

Then I went to replace both

UmbracoMembershipProvider and UsersMembershipProvider

When I set UsersMembershipProvider to UsersOnly = true in the web.config it will only operate on Users who have "IsUmbracoUser" set to true on their record in my database.

However, UsersMembershipProvider touches all of these tables,

umbracouser, umbracouser2app, umbracouser2nodenotify, and umbracouser2nodepermission

Note I can see an IUser interface in reflector that exposes things like "AllowedSections" which is umbracouser2app, etc. But I'm not sure if I implement it, if umbraco will work without having entries in all of those tables.

E.g. is umbraco smart enough to rely entirely on my interface, thus allowing all of those tables to be empty in the umbraco content database, or was moving umbraco users to a CRM with a One Login system never considered.

The end result, is I want to login to the home page, and automatically set the Umbraco Backoffice login cookie, and have a Complete Single Sign on System. You sign in one time, and can do anything that requires being signed on, including accessing the back office "if you are an UmbracoUser".

I guess, worst case scenario, I can have my membership provider use the API to create umbraco users based on whether IsUmbracoUser is true or not.

E.g.

User is Created and is UmbracoUser, -Create user in CRM -Create user in umbraco -Set allowed sections -etc

User is updated and is UmbracoUser -Sync up the email address and password, allowed sections, etc

User is deleted and is UmbracoUser -delete or deactivate umbraco user -mark user inactive in crm

etc.

• Eric MATHIEU 5 posts 76 karma points
    Sep 21, 2016 @ 13:11
    Eric MATHIEU

Dear Ryios,

Have you finally got an answer to your question? How did you manage to partly merge users and members? I have the same issue: Our future department website will have all staff being members, but most of them will also be responsible for their homepage and project pages (thus being users). Would be nice to have only one login page for them, and an easy way to declare members being also users.

Thanks. Eric

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft