Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Murray Roke 503 posts 966 karma points c-trib
    Nov 20, 2009 @ 02:04
    Murray Roke

Remove at aka ExpireDate event

Hi All

I'd like to run an event when the ExpireDate is reached ("Remove at" on the properties tab)

I'd like to Move the node to another branch and re-publish it there. But I cannot find such an event to use, I tried BeforeUnPublish but that event is only fired when manually clicking the unpublish button.

Background: The we have competition nodes. When a competition closes it is removed from the main listing. At some it will have competition winners added by an administrator. Closed competitions are displayed on a sidebar with thier associated list of winners. We want to seperate current and closed competitions in the admin to make it less cluttered and easier to use.

So... I guess I could put the move and republish on another event if I can get roughly the same outcome. (any suggestions?)

Cheers.
    Murray.

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 20, 2009 @ 02:17
    Chris Houston

Hi Murray,

One option you have is to schedule a task that checks for documents that have expired and move them using the API.

You can schedule tasks using Umbraco, although not 100% reliable it mentions on this page:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/files-in-the-config-folder/umbracosettingsconfig

Or some other form of scheduling would also have the same effect.

I have not tried it but you might well find that the BeforeUnPublish event also fires if you Unpublish a page via the API, but if you are going to code this using the API, you might as well do the actual moving in your triggered code.

Cheers,

Chris

• dub.survivor 58 posts 38 karma points
    Nov 20, 2009 @ 03:31
    dub.survivor

Murray,

I needed to perform a similar thing and I found some info (unfortunately can't remember where) that suggested using an action handler instead. I ended up using this code. I think that if a class implements IActionHandler Umbraco will automatically recognise this and will call it as needed. This works when it is automatically expired.

namespace YourNamespace.ActionHandlers {

public class UnPublishActionHandler : umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.IActionHandler {

#region IActionHandler Members

public bool Execute(Document sender, umbraco.interfaces.IAction action) {
    //have to use the action handler rather than unpublish event because the event doesn't get called when a document
    //is being automatically expired (unpublished)
    if (action.Alias == umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.ActionUnPublish.Instance.Alias) {

//DO SOMETHING HERE

}
    return true;
    }

public string HandlerName() {
    return "YourNamespace.ActionHandlers.UnPublishActionHandler";
    }

public umbraco.interfaces.IAction[] ReturnActions() {
    return new umbraco.interfaces.IAction[] { umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.ActionUnPublish.Instance };
    }

#endregion
    }
    }

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Brian.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft