Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Patrick 16 posts 36 karma points
    Nov 25, 2009 @ 10:55
    Patrick

setting ValidateRequest in umbraco

Hi

I've got an ascx that needs people to be able to put in a list of email addresses.  ( eg "Jim" <[email protected]>, "Bob" <[email protected]> ) However when the user submits this form the A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client error occurs. Usually I set ValdateRequest="false" on the aspx page, but as I'm using umbraco is there a way I can do this from the usercontrol?  I've tried this but it hasn't worked:

protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            ((umbraco.UmbracoDefault)this.Page).ValidateRequest = false;
        }

• adrianfriend 67 posts 68 karma points
    Nov 25, 2009 @ 11:24
    adrianfriend

Just a thought - it maybe the way you are entering the data i.e. ASP.NET maybe detecting it as a XSS injection. Have you tried escaping the data before saving?

Would be safer than turning the Validation off

Adrian

Nov 25, 2009 @ 12:49
    Patrick

That is an option, I suppose by using javascript to html encode the textbox value before submitting and then decoding it server-side? However, if the user doesn't have javascript that wouldn't be possible.  Is there any other way?

• adrianfriend 67 posts 68 karma points
    Nov 25, 2009 @ 13:15
    adrianfriend

This is happening because <> in <[email protected]>

Try using HttpUtility.HtmlEncode

to Encode the data - basically converts the <> to &lt; and &gt;

Hope that helps

Nov 25, 2009 @ 15:52
    Patrick

Hi Adrian

Thanks for your suggestion but I'm not sure at what point I can do that.  For example imagine my front end code is as such:

<asp:TextBox TextMode="MultiLine" runat="server" ID="recipient_list" Rows="4" cssclass="recipient_list" />
    <asp:Button runat="server" ID="btnSendEmail" OnClick="btnSendEmail_Click" Text="Send Email" />

Then the user enters the list of email addresses and clicks submit, the exception would occur before the btnSendEmail_Click function would be called so I wouldn't have a chance to modify the text of the textbox server-side or am I missing something here?  Ideally I would like to just disable the Request validation for the page from the usercontrol or failing that disabling request validation from the template or site.

Dec 14, 2009 @ 12:07
    Patrick

Ah well. I've had to go for the nuclear option and disable request validation for the whole site in web.config. It's a shame you can't disable it at a more precise level.

web.config:

<pages validateRequest="false" /> 

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Dec 14, 2009 @ 12:46
    Dave Woestenborghs

You can add this to your template to disable the validateRequest :

<umbraco:DisableRequestValidation runat="server"/>

Or add this to the code of your usercontrol :

((umbraco.UmbracoDefault)this.Page).ValidateRequest = false;

Jan 22, 2010 @ 11:42
    Patrick

Thanks for your suggestion. I've finished that project now but I'll try the validateRequest tag in the template next time I come across this issue.  The usercontrol code unfortunatly did not work.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft