Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eric Faris 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 14, 2014 @ 22:37
    Eric Faris

Implementing Umbraco Into Existing .NET MVC Web App

Hello All,

I am having trouble understanding the best practice(s) for the following problem(s) I am trying to solve:

• We currently have an existing .NET MVC Web App. Users currently login via the .NET Identity standards. This is a stand alone web app that is serving up content from custom built MVC pages.

• There is a new requirement that states that pages/content need to be added to this current site, but these new pages need to be able to be maintained via a CMS (Umbraco). In other words, only certain pages need to be managed by the Umbraco.

I don't even know where to begin. Here are some of my questions:

1. What is the best way to achieve the requirement above, while still maintaining the existing custom code for the "other" pages?

2. Is there a way to make API calls to Umbraco to serve up the content within the seperate MVC Web app? Is this a valid solution?

3. Am I thinking about this wrongly? I am open to all suggestions..

Thanks, Eric

• Amalie Wowern 144 posts 273 karma points c-trib
    Aug 20, 2014 @ 13:59
    Amalie Wowern

Hi

I think the best way to do it, is to create an umbraco site and then implement your mvc site

• Sahan Rodrigo 25 posts 97 karma points
    Aug 21, 2014 @ 18:11
    Sahan Rodrigo

Hi Eric,

1. If you only need to store content of newly created pages in Umbraco, according to my understanding, best thing to do is use umbraco as just a content manager for your existing MVC website. And actual content will be render through your existing MVC website.

In this case you may have to create Umbraco UI (which will be your umbraco website) and separate supporting MVC api controllers using UmbracoApiController. Then make api calls from your existing MVC app to Umbraco API (You just created) to get content. 

2. Yes, you can use Umbraco API to get content from Umbraco. 

Your project solution of Umbraco may look like this.

• UmbracoContentManager.UI - This will be umbraco website for editing managing content.
    • UmbracoContent.API - This will be MVC web application which uses UmbracoApiController as base controller.
    • Any other necessary layers like BLL etc

Hope this helps,

Sahan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft