Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kim Schurmann 15 posts 135 karma points c-trib
    Dec 04, 2014 @ 08:46
    Kim Schurmann

Cannot create user in backoffice

Hi

We recently upgraded form umbraco 6.1.x to 6.2.0 and we suspect that since then we haven't been able to create new users using the backoffice users interface. The popup for entering the users name is fine, but whatever we enter and click create for, the popup is closed, page is reloaded - but no new users appear.

There is no errors show, nothing in the console or in the requests, no entries in the umbraco log. 

Any help where to start will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 04, 2014 @ 08:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kim

Do you have a local instance and a server instance? If so...does it happen both places?

What steps did you take in order to upgrade Umbraco?

/Jan

Dec 04, 2014 @ 09:03
    Kim Schurmann

I can reproduce the error in my local environemnt and at least here there is thrown an error from the scriptresources:

Sys.UI.DomEvent._ensureDomNode = function Sys$UI$DomEvent$_ensureDomNode(element) {

if (element.tagName && (element.tagName.toUpperCase() === "SCRIPT")) return;   

var doc = element.ownerDocument || element.document || element;

if ((typeof(element.document) !== 'object') && (element != doc) && (typeof(element.nodeType) !== 'number')) {

throw Error.argument("element", Sys.Res.argumentDomNode);

}}

--- Uncaught Sys.ArgumentException: Sys.ArgumentException: Value must be a DOM element or a text node.

Parameter name: element

It wasn't me that did the upgrade, I will just ask the person and BRB. Thanks for the quick response though...

Dec 04, 2014 @ 09:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kim

Ok - Looking forward to learn more about the steps taken.

Some common things that is always recommended to do after an upgrade is to

1: Clearing the backoffice cache by going to the /app_data/TEMP/ folder and deleting all the stuff in there and then going to the /config/ClientDependency.config file and increment the version attribute

2: Re-index examine, which can be done from the "developer" section using the dashboards that are visible when you just click the "Developer" icon

Hope this might help.

/Jan

Dec 04, 2014 @ 09:31
    Kim Schurmann

Thanks alot Jan, I'll be back when I have tried this :)

Dec 04, 2014 @ 10:01
    Kim Schurmann

We found the problem, it seems that the UI.xml file was not updated properly and that a new field has been introduced (e-mail) in the create user form. 

I am a bit disappointed that there was no warning, log or inpur-error shown to the user that the e-mail was expected. 

Thanks for your help!

Dec 04, 2014 @ 10:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kim

Aaah yes the classical UI.xml issue...seen it a couple of times now. Happy you figured it out and thanks for sharing. I think that it's also mentioned in the upgrade documentation somewhere if I remember correctly.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft