Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Willard 21 posts 126 karma points
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 17:10
    Craig Willard

Database Schema changes

I'm working on an Umbraco 4.7.2 project locally and have made some smallish schema updates (specifically I've added Properties of type Textstring, True/false, Content Picker, and Sniper Tags to several Document Types).  

Is there a simple/safe/stable way to deploy these updates (and these updates alone - no content updates) to the production server without having to replace the entire database?

Apologies if this is a total newbie question.

Thanks in advance,
    Craig
  • Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 18:02
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Craig and welcome to our.

As I see it you could create a package with the document types that you have made updates to. And then install the package on your live environment. Try to see this blogpost I think this explains how you create the package very well. http://www.uquickstart.com/umbraco-tips-and-tools/package-up-your-umbraco-website

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Dec 08, 2014 @ 19:46
    Craig Willard

Thank you Dennis, this looks really helpful!  I will give it a try.

Dec 08, 2014 @ 19:53
    Craig Willard

Quick question - what are package url and author url used for?  I noticed they are required but not sure how to fill them out as I anticipated just downloading and re-uploading a .zip.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 21:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

It's used if you're creating a 3rd party package, which is meant for others to use if you wanted to share something awesome with the rest of us. You can just fill in some gibberish in order to make your own custom package for deploying your changes.

Hope this answers your question.

/Jan

Dec 08, 2014 @ 21:12
    Craig Willard

It does, thank you Jan!

FWIW, I'm very impressed with the responsiveness of the forums, even for questions regarding an older version of the product.

Thanks again,

Craig

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 21:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

You're welcome :) - I'm very happy to hear that - We're a friendly bunch of people who enjoy helping each other out when we can.

Feel free to ask further questions as they arise.

Happy umbracoing.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft