Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Willard 21 posts 126 karma points
    Dec 12, 2014 @ 21:39
    Craig Willard

Strange issue

Hi all, I'm having a strange issue on my production server.  

Essentially, content seems to be unpublishing itself.  After we publish content, after some seemingly random number of hours, we come in to find out that the new content is saved but not published.  There doesn't seem to be any trend to when and why this is happening, and I'm trying to figure out if the issue is Umbraco related, or a hosting issue (the site moved to a new server recently).

In addition to this, I am getting .NET errors when I first log in to Umbraco [http://cl.ly/image/2Q3L3H120N2F], and when publishing content [http://cl.ly/image/3a27432g0Y2N], which I'm not sure are related.

Thoughts?  Anyone seen behavior like this before?  It's super frustrating and really messing with our content workflow.

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 13, 2014 @ 00:34
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Graig,

I think that the error you are getting when you publish content is because of some file or folder permissions issues since you canĀ“t get access to the umbraco.config.The umbraco.config file contains all the XML for the nodes that you have created in your Umbraco backoffice.

So make sure that you have the correct file and folder permissions set on your new production server. You can find the documentation for file and folder permissions here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Dec 15, 2014 @ 16:19
    Craig Willard

Thank you Dennis, I will follow up and let you know if I have more questions!

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 18, 2014 @ 15:53
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Craig,

Did you managed to solve the issue you have about the publishing your site.

Looking forward to hear from you.

/Dennis

Dec 18, 2014 @ 22:31
    Craig Willard

Hi Dennis.  Thanks for following up.

I checked in with Rackspace, and still no luck after making sure the permissions match the link you provided.

Any other thoughts?  Is there any additional information I can provide to help troubleshooting?

Unfortunately as the issue is on a production server, there's not much live debugging I can do.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 18, 2014 @ 22:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

What exact version of Umbraco are you using?

Have you checked that it's not due to disk spacing issue on the web or database server perhaps?

When did the issue start happening? Has it just started after the initial deploy or has the site been running for a while?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Dec 18, 2014 @ 22:38
    Craig Willard

Hi Jan.

We are on 6.1.5.  I have not checked about disk spacing but I will follow up on that.

The issue started happening, I believe, when the site was moved to a new server.  I'm following up to confirm that.  Prior to this, the site had been running fine for some duration.

Thanks for your help.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 19, 2014 @ 06:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

Ok, so the permissions have been double checked for the network service and the iusr? As pr. the link Dennis provided above?

What about the application pool? Is it run by network service? If not then try changing it to the network service.

/Jan

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Dec 20, 2014 @ 21:24
    Charles Afford

Have you given IIS_IUSRS and IUSR full permission? Not sure if that is relevant, just looking at the app data not being accessible. :) Charlie.

Dec 24, 2014 @ 16:07
    Craig Willard

Hi all, just wanted to post an update.

It looks like giving IIS_IUSRS and IUSR full permission solved the publish issue.

Still seeing the one on login (http://cl.ly/image/2Q3L3H120N2F), which I'm not sure is actually causing any issues other than being an ugly screen for users to see upon initial login.  I'm a little concerned not to rock the boat since the main issue is solved, so I haven't asked them to change the app pool to be run by network service yet, but they did confirm that the application pool is running under the ApplicationPoolIdentity currently, not the network service account.

Thoughts?

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Dec 24, 2014 @ 17:49
    Nicholas Westby

FYI, when the application pool is running under ApplicationPoolIdentity, I typically give permission to "IIS AppPool\mywebsite.com". Basically, if your website is called "mywebsite.com" in IIS, the identity will be "IIS AppPool\mywebsite.com" (actually, this is probably based on the name of the application pool itself, but that is typically named after the website when it is created).

Regarding the XML parse error you're seeing, ensure that your applications.config and tree.config files are not empty (if they are, you'll have to restore them): http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6030

If that doesn't work, you can try "Republish Entire Site". There is an option for that when you right-click the "Content" header above your root content node(s). If that doesn't work, you can republish all of your nodes. There is an option for that when you right-click your root content node(s).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft