Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 13, 2014 @ 20:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Custom tree in Umbraco 7.2 not showing up

Hi guys

I'm playing around with creating custom sections and trees in Umbraco 7.2.

My section is working fine but for some reason I can't get my tree to show up - There are no errors messages in the browser console and nor are there any errors in the /app_data/logs file.

The full code for my tree class looks like the following

using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.Linq; using System.Web; using System.Web.Http; using Umbraco.Web.Mvc; using Umbraco.Web.Trees; using Umbraco.Web.Models.Trees; using umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions; using System.Net.Http; using System.Net.Http.Formatting; using Umbraco.Core; using umbraco;

namespace MyTree.Trees
    {
        [PluginController("Products")]
        [Tree("Products", "productsTree", "Products", iconClosed: "icon-doc")]
        public class SharewishAppTreeController : TreeController
        {

protected override TreeNodeCollection GetTreeNodes(string id, FormDataCollection queryStrings)
            {
                // check if we're rendering the root node's children
                if (id == Constants.System.Root.ToInvariantString())
                {
                    // empty tree
                    var tree = new TreeNodeCollection();
                    // but if we wanted to add nodes - 
                    return tree;
                }
                // this tree doesn't support rendering more than 1 level
                throw new NotSupportedException();
            }

protected override MenuItemCollection GetMenuForNode(string id, FormDataCollection queryStrings)
            {
                var menu = new MenuItemCollection();

{
                    // root actions              
                    menu.Items.Add<CreateChildEntity, ActionNew>(ui.Text("actions", ActionNew.Instance.Alias));
                    menu.Items.Add<RefreshNode, ActionRefresh>(ui.Text("actions", ActionRefresh.Instance.Alias), true);
                    return menu;
                }

menu.Items.Add<ActionDelete>(ui.Text("actions", ActionDelete.Instance.Alias));

return menu;
            }

}
    }

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers, Jan

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Dec 13, 2014 @ 21:14
    Anders Bjerner

I have a 7.1.8 installation with a custom tree, and the code looks very similar to yours. There might of course be something specific to 7.2, but could you try the following htings:

• What is the value of Constants.System.Root.ToInvariantString()? Should be -1.
    • What happens if you don't return an empty tree collection?
    • In GetTreeNodes, try writing something to the log right before your if-statement. If that works, we can take it from there ;)
    • Has your tree been added to /config/trees.config? If so, could you paste the line here?
    Dec 13, 2014 @ 23:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anders

May I have a peak at your code?

I tried using the above code on a fresh installation on 7.1.8 - Now I see some of the tree but if I choose to right click I get this error message in the console log

No menuUrl property found on the tree node, cannot load menuangular.min.js:63 (anonymous function)angular.min.js:54 (anonymous function)angular.min.js:92 e.$applyumbraco.directives.js:2203 (anonymous function)jquery-2.0.3.min.js:10 x.event.dispatchjquery-2.0.3.min.js:10 y.handle

So surely something is wrong but I can't quite figure out what it is.

I'm not quite sure how to use the logger either :)

For now I just want to have my tree working and be able to see one single node listed in it.

Cheers, Jan

Dec 13, 2014 @ 23:36
    Anders Bjerner

My code looks a lot like yours. Also if I copy your example code and update GetTreeNodes method to add a node, it works fine in my 7.2 installation:

protected override TreeNodeCollection GetTreeNodes(string id, FormDataCollection queryStrings) {
            if (id == Constants.System.Root.ToInvariantString()) {
                // empty tree

var node = CreateTreeNode("Hai", "-1", queryStrings, "Howdy");
                tree.Add(node);

return tree;
            }
        }

If that still doesn't work, can you try posting your applications.config and trees.config here? Just to make sure the aliases are right ;)

Regarding the log, you can call it this way. If the GetTreeNodes is called, you should be able to find Hellooooooooo? in the log file :

protected override TreeNodeCollection GetTreeNodes(string id, FormDataCollection queryStrings) {

LogHelper.Info<SharewishAppTreeController>("Hellooooooooo?");

if (id == Constants.System.Root.ToInvariantString()) {
                // empty tree

var node = CreateTreeNode("Hai", "-1", queryStrings, "Howdy");
                tree.Add(node);

return tree;
            }
        }

Dec 14, 2014 @ 17:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anders

So finally came back from a birthday brunch so I can see if I can succeed with adding that tree this evening :)

The text does not appear in the log file and my trees.config looks like this, which seems right to me

<add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="productsTree" application="Products" title="Products" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Sharewish.Trees.SharewishAppTreeController, Sharewish.Trees" />

But perhaps my override is wrong somehow since it seems that nothing is ever logged?

/Jan

Dec 14, 2014 @ 18:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anders

Ok...So it seems like I'm not allowed to call my TreeController none of these names

• SharewishAppTreeController
    • ProductsTreeController

But if I name it "ProductItemsTreeController" then it works fine...which I'm not sure I quite understand.

This code works...

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.Http;
    using Umbraco.Web.Mvc;
    using Umbraco.Web.Trees;
    using Umbraco.Web.Models.Trees;
    using umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions;
    using System.Net.Http;
    using System.Net.Http.Formatting;
    using Umbraco.Core;
    using umbraco;
    using Umbraco.Core.Logging;

namespace Sharewish.Trees.Trees
    {
        [PluginController("Products")]
        [Tree("products", "ProductsTree", "Products")]
        public class ProductItemsTreeController : TreeController

//SharewishAppTreeController
        //ProductsTreeController

{

protected override Umbraco.Web.Models.Trees.TreeNodeCollection GetTreeNodes(string id, System.Net.Http.Formatting.FormDataCollection queryStrings)
            {
                //check if we're rendering the root node's children
                if (id == global::Umbraco.Core.Constants.System.Root.ToInvariantString())
                {
                    var tree = new TreeNodeCollection
                    {
                        CreateTreeNode("1", id, queryStrings, "Products","icon-folder",true)
                    };
                    return tree;
                }

//this tree doesn't suport rendering more than 1 level
            }

protected override Umbraco.Web.Models.Trees.MenuItemCollection GetMenuForNode(string id, System.Net.Http.Formatting.FormDataCollection queryStrings)
            {
                menu.Items.Add(new MenuItem("create", "Create"));
                return menu;
            }

}
    }

So what is the proper way to name the tree controller? Should it have the same name as the section application name/alias? Or should one be able to name it anything?

/Jan

Dec 14, 2014 @ 18:30
    Anders Bjerner

I think the important thing to notice that the alias of the application in your latest example is now products rather than Products in your first example. The alias is case-sensitive (which I why I suggested you to sent the contents of both applications.configand trees.config).

Below is the contents of my config files:

applications.config

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <applications>
      <add alias="content" name="Content" icon="traycontent" sortOrder="0" />
      <add alias="media" name="Media" icon="traymedia" sortOrder="1" />
      <add alias="settings" name="Settings" icon="traysettings" sortOrder="2" />
      <add alias="developer" name="Developer" icon="traydeveloper" sortOrder="3" />
      <add alias="users" name="Users" icon="trayuser" sortOrder="4" />
      <add alias="member" name="Members" icon="traymember" sortOrder="5" />
      <add alias="forms" name="Forms" icon="icon-umb-contour" sortOrder="6" />
      <add alias="translation" name="Translation" icon="traytranslation" sortOrder="7" />
      <add alias="products" name="Products" icon="icon-chart-curve" sortOrder="8" />
    </applications>

trees.config

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <trees>
      <!--Content-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="content" application="content" title="Content" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.ContentTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add initialize="false" sortOrder="0" alias="contentRecycleBin" application="content" title="Recycle Bin" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="umbraco.cms.presentation.Trees.ContentRecycleBin, umbraco" />
      <!--Media-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="media" application="media" title="Media" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.MediaTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add initialize="false" sortOrder="0" alias="mediaRecycleBin" application="media" title="Recycle Bin" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="umbraco.cms.presentation.Trees.MediaRecycleBin, umbraco" />
      <!--Settings-->
      <add application="settings" alias="stylesheets" title="Stylesheets" type="umbraco.loadStylesheets, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="0" />
      <add application="settings" alias="stylesheetProperty" title="Stylesheet Property" type="umbraco.loadStylesheetProperty, umbraco" iconClosed="" iconOpen="" initialize="false" sortOrder="0" />
      <add application="settings" alias="templates" title="Templates" type="umbraco.loadTemplates, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="1" />
      <add application="settings" alias="partialViews" title="Partial Views" silent="false" initialize="true" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.PartialViewsTree, umbraco" sortOrder="2" />
      <add application="settings" alias="scripts" title="Scripts" type="umbraco.loadScripts, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="3" />
      <add application="settings" alias="dictionary" title="Dictionary" type="umbraco.loadDictionary, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="4" />
      <add application="settings" alias="languages" title="Languages" type="umbraco.loadLanguages, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="5" />
      <add application="settings" alias="mediaTypes" title="Media Types" type="umbraco.loadMediaTypes, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="6" />
      <add application="settings" alias="nodeTypes" title="Document Types" type="umbraco.loadNodeTypes, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="7" />
      <!--Developer-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="datatype" application="developer" title="Data Types" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.DataTypeTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add application="developer" alias="macros" title="Macros" type="umbraco.loadMacros, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="2" />
      <add application="developer" alias="packager" title="Packages" type="umbraco.loadPackager, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="3" />
      <add application="developer" alias="packagerPackages" title="Packager Packages" type="umbraco.loadPackages, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" initialize="false" sortOrder="3" />
      <add application="developer" alias="relationTypes" title="Relation Types" type="umbraco.loadRelationTypes, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="4" />
      <add application="developer" alias="xslt" title="XSLT Files" type="umbraco.loadXslt, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="5" />
      <add application="developer" alias="partialViewMacros" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.PartialViewMacrosTree, umbraco" silent="false" initialize="true" sortOrder="6" title="Partial View Macro Files" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" />
      <!--Users-->
      <add application="users" alias="users" title="Users" type="umbraco.loadUsers, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="0" />
      <add application="users" alias="userTypes" title="User Types" type="umbraco.cms.presentation.Trees.UserTypes, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="1" />
      <add application="users" alias="userPermissions" title="User Permissions" type="umbraco.cms.presentation.Trees.UserPermissions, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="2" />
      <!--Members-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="member" application="member" title="Members" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.MemberTreeController, umbraco" />
      <add application="member" alias="memberGroup" title="Member Groups" type="umbraco.loadMemberGroups, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="1" />
      <add application="member" alias="memberType" title="Member Types" type="umbraco.loadMemberTypes, umbraco" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="2" />
      <!--Translation-->
      <add silent="false" initialize="true" sortOrder="1" alias="openTasks" application="translation" title="Tasks assigned to you" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="umbraco.loadOpenTasks, umbraco" />
      <add silent="false" initialize="true" sortOrder="2" alias="yourTasks" application="translation" title="Tasks created by you" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" type="umbraco.loadYourTasks, umbraco" />
      <!-- Custom -->
      <!--<add application="myApplication" alias="myTree" title="Me Tree" type="MyNamespace.myTree, MyAssembly"
           iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder" sortOrder="10" />-->
      <add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="productsTree" application="products" title="Products" iconClosed="icon-doc" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="FourOhFour.SharewishAppTreeController, FourOhFour" />
    </trees>

Also notice, that if you switch between products and Products in your code, trees.config might not necessarily be updated.

Dec 14, 2014 @ 18:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anders

Thank you very much for clearing that up. Such a tiny thing that took me so long to figure out :D

It's working now and I've learned something new, which is always nice.

I should probably do a write-up so I don't forget this again.

/Jan

• Haris 15 posts 35 karma points
    Dec 29, 2014 @ 10:13
    Haris

hello everyone,

I had a similar problem and thanks to your comments, kind solved it but I still have some difficulties. On a test project that I created I was trying to add a new section with custom trees and after some time I managed it. But when I wanted to do the same on one of my current projects (for production) I wasn't very successful even though I followed the exact same steps.

At the beginning my tree wasn't showing up in the menu as in your case and then I manually added a new tree inside the section, and somehow ended up like this (1st image - test project; 2nd - production).

Test project

production project

Can someone explain to me why on one project the tree is shown as a folder(as it supposed) and on the other it's shown as the root menu? Which isn't showing up if there are no child nodes inside the tree. Also I was using the same code in both projects.

[Tree("example", "peopleTree", "People")]
    [PluginController("Example")]
    public class PeopleTreeController: TreeController
    {

protected override Umbraco.Web.Models.Trees.TreeNodeCollection GetTreeNodes(string id, System.Net.Http.Formatting.FormDataCollection queryStrings)
        {
            {
                var ctrl = new PersonApiController();
                var nodes = new TreeNodeCollection();

foreach (var person in ctrl.GetAll())
                {
                    var node = CreateTreeNode(
                        person.Id.ToString(),
                        "-1", 
                        queryStrings, 
                        person.ToString(), 
                        "icon-user", 
                        false);

nodes.Add(node);

}
                return nodes;
            }

//this tree doesn't suport rendering more than 1 level
        }

protected override Umbraco.Web.Models.Trees.MenuItemCollection GetMenuForNode(string id, System.Net.Http.Formatting.FormDataCollection queryStrings)
        {

{         
                menu.Items.Add<CreateChildEntity, ActionNew>(ui.Text("actions", ActionNew.Instance.Alias));
                menu.Items.Add<RefreshNode, ActionRefresh>(ui.Text("actions", ActionRefresh.Instance.Alias), true);

return menu;
            }
            else
            {
                //menu.DefaultMenuAlias = ActionDelete.Instance.Alias;
                menu.Items.Add< ActionDelete>(ui.Text("actions", ActionDelete.Instance.Alias)); 
            }
            return menu;
        }
    }

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Jan 20, 2015 @ 21:54
    Sören Deger

Hi Jan and Anders,

do you know if anything has changed in 7.2.0? I have created a package with a custom section. This works great in 7.1.6, 7.1.7, 7.1.8 and 7.1.9. 

But in 7.2.0 and 7.2.1 the custom tree is not showing.

Any ideas?

Best

Sören

Jan 20, 2015 @ 22:06
    Sören Deger

Here more informations:

applications.config:

<add alias="mail2CMS" name="Mail2CMS" icon="icon-mail2cms-emailimport" sortOrder="15" />

trees.config:

<add initialize="true" sortOrder="0" alias="mail2CMSTree" application="mail2CMS" title="Mailboxes" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="mail2CMS.Trees.mail2CMSTreeController, mail2cms" />

Code:

namespace mail2CMS.Trees
    {

[Umbraco.Web.Trees.Tree("mail2CMS", "mail2CMSTree", "Mailboxes")]
        [PluginController("mail2CMS")]
        public class mail2CMSTreeController : TreeController
        {
            protected override TreeNodeCollection GetTreeNodes(string id, System.Net.Http.Formatting.FormDataCollection queryStrings)
            {
                var ctrl = new MailboxApiController();

IEnumerable<Mailbox> mailboxList = ctrl.GetAll();
                if (mailboxList != null)
                {
                    {
                        var nodes = new TreeNodeCollection();

foreach (var mailbox in mailboxList)
                        {
                                mailbox.Id.ToString(),
                                "-1",
                                queryStrings,
                                mailbox.ToString(),
                                "icon-mail2cms-mailbox",
                                true);

nodes.Add(node);
                        }

return nodes;
                    }

{
                        if (!id.Contains('-') && id == mailbox.Id.ToString())
                        {

return GetChildTreeNodes(id, queryStrings);

}
                    }
                }
            }

protected TreeNodeCollection GetChildTreeNodes(string id, System.Net.Http.Formatting.FormDataCollection queryStrings)
            {
                    var nodes = new TreeNodeCollection {
                        CreateTreeNode(id+"-1", id, queryStrings, ui.Text("mail2cms", "settings"), "icon-mail2cms-settingstwo-gearalt",false,"mail2CMS/mail2CMSTree/settings/" + id + "-1"),
                        CreateTreeNode(id+"-2", id, queryStrings, ui.Text("mail2cms", "mapping"), "icon-mail2cms-emailforwarders", false,"mail2CMS/mail2CMSTree/mapping/" + id + "-2"),
                        CreateTreeNode(id+"-3", id, queryStrings, ui.Text("mail2cms", "blacklistWhitelist"), "icon-mail2cms-th-list", false, "mail2CMS/mail2CMSTree/blackwhitelist/" + id + "-3"),
                        CreateTreeNode(id+"-4", id, queryStrings, ui.Text("mail2cms", "scheduler"), "icon-mail2cms-timer", false, "mail2CMS/mail2CMSTree/scheduler/" + id + "-4"),
                        CreateTreeNode(id+"-6", id, queryStrings, ui.Text("mail2cms", "reports"), "icon-mail2cms-report", false, "mail2CMS/mail2CMSTree/reports/" + id + "-6"),
                        CreateTreeNode(id+"-5", id, queryStrings, ui.Text("mail2cms", "notificationLog"), "icon-mail2cms-rawaccesslogs", false, "mail2CMS/mail2CMSTree/notificationlog/" + id + "-5")
                    };
                    return nodes;
            }

protected override MenuItemCollection GetMenuForNode(string id, System.Net.Http.Formatting.FormDataCollection queryStrings)
            {
                {
                    // root actions              
                    return menu;
                }
                else if (!id.Contains('-'))
                {
                    menu.Items.Add<ActionDelete>(ui.Text("actions", ActionDelete.Instance.Alias));

}
                return menu;
            }
        }
    }

Best

Sören

Jan 21, 2015 @ 06:47
    Sören Deger

It should be look like this (works in 7.1.6 - 7.1.9):

But in 7.2.0 and 7.2.1 I see only this:

No error in console. No error in umbraco log.

Any ideas?

Sören

Jan 21, 2015 @ 07:00
    Sören Deger

Ok, I have found the cause. It seems to happen when there is no node in the custom tree! 

If I update my code in GetTreeNodes function to this it works:

if (mailboxList.Count() != 0)
    {
        {
                mailbox.Id.ToString(),
                "-1",
                queryStrings,
                mailbox.ToString(),
                "icon-mail2cms-mailbox",
                true);

nodes.Add(node);
        }
    }
    else
    {
                "1",
                "-1",
                queryStrings,
                "First, create a mailbox please",
                "icon-mail2cms-mailbox",
                false);

nodes.Add(node);
    }

But I think it must be possible to see the section correctly with no nodes in custom tree. The solution above is not the perfect solution.

Before 7.2.0 I can right click to "MAILBOXES" and can create with "create" in context menu the root items for this custom tree without problems.

Is this an issue in 7.2.0 and 7.2.1? 

Sören

Jan 21, 2015 @ 20:11
    Anders Bjerner

Just to confirm, I tested with a custom tree in 7.1.9, 7.2.0 and 7.2.1. As you point out, the behavior has changed from 7.2.0.

With only a very quick glance through the list of commits, I can't find anything mentioning this change, and therefore also not whether this was an intentional change. I haven't tested the create action, but it makes sense to show the sections because of this.

You can try either pinging Sebastiaan on Twitter, or just create an issue right away, and someone who knows why it was changed, will hopefully have a look at it ;)

Jan 21, 2015 @ 20:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi guys

Just to chime in - I think there should be created an issue for this. Even though Sebastiaan is good at answering at Twitter etc. I think it can also be pretty stressful for the guys sometimes and since it's something that concerns all who may be creating custom sections and trees it's better to file the issue so everyone can see it and the HQ guys can handle it.

Just my 2 cents :)

/Jan

Jan 21, 2015 @ 20:42
    Sören Deger

Great! Thank you for feedback! I have create an issue, you can vote for it here:

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6168

Best,

Sören

• Alastair Brian 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 18, 2015 @ 11:56
    Alastair Brian

I am completely new to coding but, hope so I will learn soon. :) Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft