Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• keilo 568 posts 1023 karma points
    Jan 20, 2015 @ 06:28
    keilo

Multiple copies of Notification Emails

We are encountering multiple copies of the same notification email being sent to the user(subcriber) when a single node is send to publish.

Having resetted the notification table and only subscribed to one event (Sent to Publish) on a single node - still results in multiple (2 or 3) notification emails being sent.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 20, 2015 @ 07:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kelio

What version of Umbraco are you using? And could it be that the editor hits the "Send to publish" button more than once perhaps?

/Jan

Jan 20, 2015 @ 12:49
    keilo

Hi Jan 

Using version 6.2.1

I have double checked and single click to send publish (after ensuring notification table is cleared and only subscribe to send to publish) is set.

I cant seem to locate the reason on why it would cause that, changing different smtp doesnt help either.

Do you have any suggestion on how to limit the number of notifications being sent? Is it embedded deep in the .DLLs?

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 19:04
    Paul Sterling

@Keilo 

We've seen this reported by another user in 6.2.4 but cannot repro with a 6.2.4 install ourselves.  If you could isolate the repro steps and the exact version that could be helpful in identifying if it is core code or somethign specific to your instance.

Feb 10, 2015 @ 19:13
    keilo

Hi Paul

The email server is MS Exchange on production but have tried changing the email server to a normal (outside) smtp server but multiple copies of notifications keep coming.

Umb running on WIn2008r2 64bit with MSSQL2008.

I have cleared the notification table in db, in each testing scenario. Not running and other custom code or 'funky' module. Its 6.2.1, upgraded from previous version which was also having the issue.

I dont really have any other finding beside the above.. Hearing someone else (handful ppl) is getting this issue leads me to think there is something in core perhaps.

But I dont know how to go about it.

Feb 10, 2015 @ 19:19
    Paul Sterling

@Keilo

I've asked one of our Gold Partners, who also sees this, to provide their environment as we can't repro with the standard umbraco 6.2.4 install.  Will update here if we can confirm.

Feb 10, 2015 @ 19:54
    keilo

Thats great Paul. Hopefully we can find the root cause.

Cheers!

• Wayne 15 posts 72 karma points
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 00:46
    Wayne

Hi,

I have encounted this same issue on two sites after migrating from 6.0.5 -> 6.2.5 (very embarrassing for me after suggesting the upgrade...)

the symtops are that multiples of emails are sent based on the number of registered users for the related node.

e.g  if you have 3 users are registered for the node (or inherited from above) for Update, each user will get 3 emails

I've checked the umbracoUser2NodeNotify table and no duplicate entries exist

I've also performed a sql trace, from what I can see no Cartesian product is being produced from the executed SQL

What I have found that this statement is executed for every user, it seems & not performing a query based on the current node being updated, could be the linq query internally, havent looked into the source as yet.

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT DISTINCT umbracoNode.id, umbracoUser2NodeNotify.userId, umbracoNode.nodeObjectType, umbracoUser2NodeNotify.action
    FROM [umbracoUser2NodeNotify]
    INNER JOIN [umbracoNode]
    ON [umbracoUser2NodeNotify].[nodeId] = [umbracoNode].[id]
    WHERE ([umbracoUser2NodeNotify].[userId] = @0)
    ORDER BY ([umbracoNode].[id])',N'@0 int',@0=124

Any suggested fix for this would be great, I have two very large sites with a lot of external editors who are being spammed!

regards
    Wayne

Apr 07, 2015 @ 19:14
    Paul Sterling

@Wayne 

We are not able to repro with 6.2.4+ even with the client's environment.  If you can identify repro steps and create an issue http://issues.umbraco.org/issues/U4 it at least can be tracked.  However, v6 is a closed branch so, other than security updates, there are no planned future releases.

Apr 29, 2015 @ 08:11
    Wayne

Hi Paul,

a bit of an update on this strange notification behaviour.

Have just upgraded a 6.0.5 site to 7.2.4, removed all Application Event code and most of the references to installed components - just wanted to get the DB upgraded and publish a node to see if duplicate notifications occured.

and duplicate notifications are sent to the smtp server.

another thing thats occuring is selection of Notifications on any node gives this error;

Method not found: 'Void umbraco.editorControls.ResourceExtensions.RegisterEmbeddedClientResource(System.Web.UI.Page, System.Type, System.String, umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.ClientDependencyType)'.

So if I was to run the latest version in debug where is the exact place the notifications are handled - Im sure somebody knows where I should begin to look.

thanks
    Wayne

• Paul Aikman 43 posts 97 karma points
    Nov 04, 2015 @ 11:50
    Paul Aikman

Hi,

We have a client on 6.2.4 who is experiencing the same issue: three users registered for notifications on a node means they get 3x duplicate emails whenever a "send to publish" notification is sent.

Was a solution found for this issue?

Thanks,

Paul

Nov 05, 2015 @ 22:27
    Wayne

Hi,

No solution or help on this as yet.

This is obviously a bug introduced in 6.2.x when upgrading from a lesser version and is fixed from 7.2.x onwards.

If somebody in the community can help in pinpointing the module that handles the notification, I can possibly provide a fix.

My client has lost faith in Umbraco being able to be upgraded without severe pain and investment. This is a real shame considering the three high profile Australian govt sites which are now more than likley to be rewritten using another CMS.

regards Wayne

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft