Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos Mosqueda 241 posts 432 karma points
    Feb 25, 2015 @ 23:25
    Carlos Mosqueda

Developing Umbraco with Visual Studio

If we want to develop controls, models, etc. in Visual Studio, do we NEED to get the full download from NuGet.  Or can we download an install of Umbraco from the .zip and run it a locally and just make our Controls and Models folders and developer from there.  Or are there other dependencies that we need to develop in Umbraco from NuGet?

Thanks,

Carlos

• Alex Skrypnyk 6134 posts 23953 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 25, 2015 @ 23:55
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Carlos,

You can as you want. 

You can create web site and open it in the visual studio or create web application, install Umbraco via nuget and work with it.

We prefer second way, it's very convenient to work and create new projects.

Thanks,

Alexander

Feb 26, 2015 @ 16:51
    Carlos Mosqueda

The only issue with the second way is we have multiple people developing on it and using SVN. Which we found is a bit iffy when we have all the NuGet stuff in the repository.  I would prefer to do it the second way as well, but only if I was the only developer.  That is the main reason I was asking. I didn't know if anyone had any other issues with just doing a straight install and developing off of that vs using the NuGet package.

Thanks for the response.

Carlos

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2015 @ 17:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Carlos

You can also consider a setup where you have a clean installation of Umbraco from .zip and then have your visual studio project at the same level. So each time you build the project you XCOPY the necessary files into the relevant folders in your Umbraco website like into the /bin folder for instance.

So your structure could be

• Projectname
      • Umbraco.Web
      • VisualStudioProject

Does that make sense?

/Jan

Feb 26, 2015 @ 19:09
    Carlos Mosqueda

@Jan,

That makes sense.  That may be the way we want to go.  

Would this still make it possible for us to develop our controllers and models in the Umbraco project?  Or would we develop our controls and models external to the Umbraco.Web project and just reference the Umbraco DLLs?

I guess what I am asking is, if we need to use the WebAPI or make a custom Datatype in the BackOffice, would our Controllers and Models folders be in the Umbraco.Web project? or the other VisualStudioProject?

Feb 26, 2015 @ 19:13
    Alex Skrypnyk

1) Would this still make it possible for us to develop our controllers and models in the Umbraco project? - Of course.

2) Or would we develop our controls and models external to the Umbraco.Web project and just reference the Umbraco DLLs? - You can.

3) I guess what I am asking is, if we need to use the WebAPI or make a custom Datatype in the BackOffice, would our Controllers and Models folders be in the Umbraco.Web project? or the other VisualStudioProject? - You can just make reference to project with creating datatypes logic.

Thanks

Feb 26, 2015 @ 19:17
    Carlos Mosqueda

@Alex and @Jan,

I think I have enough to go on based on your help. Much appreciated!

• Biagio Paruolo 1601 posts 1852 karma points c-trib
    Apr 09, 2015 @ 11:21
    Biagio Paruolo

Hi, Alex, in the case of WebAPI ( see your point 3 ) which is the better method? Could you made an example?

Apr 09, 2015 @ 11:27
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Biagio Paruolo,

Do you want to use WebApi ? Will your Api use Umbraco context?

Alex

• Biagio Paruolo 1601 posts 1852 karma points c-trib
    Apr 09, 2015 @ 12:02
    Biagio Paruolo

I wish to build WebAPI v2 that return some data ( not umbraco related ) to Umbraco and other that read dato post from Umbraco ( like when I publish a news item, it's send data to a WebApi function that use them to made something ).

Other Api can use Umbraco context to update some user counters.

Other question: Is't possible to pass authToken to external WebAPI if I use Umbraco membership and user is already logged? I know that Umbraco WebApi has its annotations for this.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft