Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mt 6 posts 28 karma points
    Jan 15, 2010 @ 11:18
    mt

Updating node information without publish

Hi all

I have a Flash applet that features a series of "stories".

Every time a story is clicked this is reported back to the backend, this updates a property named "storyClicks" on a node. Likewise every time a "read more" link is clicked in a story this is reported back, these are named "clickThrough".

The two properties are used to rank stories in the frontend (highest rank goes to the top).

My problem is that I update the properties (and output them) from Document e.g:

d = new umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document(nodeId);
    d.getProperty(prop).Value = val + 1;

and:

Document c = new Document(int.Parse(Request["id"]));
    int.TryParse(c.getProperty("storyClicks").Value.ToString(), out clicks);

I am doing it on Document because I don't wan't to publish the node (if the administrator is working on it and it is suddenly published due to a visitor clicking the story).

From what I read this updating of Documents leads to a new cached document being created for every update of these properties, which potentially leads to a massive database. And accessing Document is supposed to be slow as well?

In this specific case I would like NOT to create custom tables in the database.

So my question is; Should I abandon the above mentioned approach and, if yes, how should I manage the ranking properties?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 15, 2010 @ 11:45
    Lee Kelleher

Hi mt,

As far as I can tell, you are taking the correct approach.

From looking at the code (via Reflector) for v4.0.3 - assigning to the Value of a Property will do an UPDATE to the database ... but it doesn't do a publish (or XML cache refresh).

So unless you start seeing performance problems - depending on your traffic, there might be a lot of database reads/writes - you should be fine.

Cheers, Lee.

Jan 15, 2010 @ 14:19
    mt

Hi Lee

So you don't think that the procedure of updating Document references creates extra rows in the database (e.g. it is an actual update by id, not a "history" entry)? 

If that's the case I'm happy :)

The read/writes would be there anyways, I just don't know enough about the "inner workings" of umbraco to determine if I'm doing some inappropiate implementation here.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 15, 2010 @ 14:33
    Lee Kelleher

I believe that the audit/revision happens on publish - might need a someone (who is familiar with the core source code) to confirm that.

Guess the easiest way is to update the property and check the audit trail.

I still reckon you're taking the right approach.

Cheers, Lee.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 15, 2010 @ 14:57
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The problem with this approach is (as you already mentioned): concurrency:

• Editor/Admin opens a document
    • You update the property while someone is working on the document in the backend
    • Editor/Admin publishes the document they opened earlier
    • Result: they overwrite the new value with the old value that was fetched before the update
    In this case, if it's an important counter, I'd put the count in a different table.
    The other reason that I'd go directly to the database is for performance reasons, as I'm not sure what exactly happens in Umbraco when you update a property, it could trigger multiple queries. But this all depends on how busy your site is of course.
    A whole different route you could take is to just implement Google Analytics, it can track events for you from a simple javascript call. That way, you offload everything onto Google. 

Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:42
    mt

Sebastian >

I need to use the statistics for a ranking system, so I would have to retrieve these values from Google Analytics via some API before generating the output. And in this specific case there's already some tracking service involved that I need to send statistics to, and I'm not sure they provide an API for gathering the tracking data?

But I see your point about authors overwriting tracking data.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:57
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Neh, if it's only for statistics then you can go with GA. But if it needs to be (semi-) real time, then definately store the data locally, GA only updates their stats once a day I think! :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft