Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Neil 63 posts 105 karma points
    May 26, 2015 @ 21:29
    Neil

using umbraco on only part of a larger site?

I have a larger website I've been tasked with creating a subset of pages for (a subdomain is possible) and I'm wondering if it's possible to use umbraco to administer just those pages. Would a solution be to set the home page to a specific subdomain? Is it that easy? Sanity check would be great...

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2015 @ 22:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Neil

What is the website currently running? Is it running Umbraco or is it a custom application or based on another CMS? What is your current setup...just would be nice to know and understand a bit more about your setup before giving you further advice since it can be misleading to your scenario.

/Jan

May 26, 2015 @ 22:19
    Neil

It is not running umbraco. It has a custom CMS and the public site sits behind a secure login. I've been tasked with building a microsite of sorts within that secured site. Does that help? (I'm just learning about the environment myself).

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 26, 2015 @ 22:21
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Neil,

If I understand you question correct then you want to setup a Umbraco for a subdomain. Yes this is possible. First you need to create the subdomain and then install Umbraco make the general work with document types templates and so on.

The thing you need is then add a hostname on the home node of the subdomain site. If you have access to Umbraco TV then you can see this video on how to add a domain to the culture and hostnames. http://umbraco.tv/videos/implementor/multi-lingual/creating-a-multi-lingual-site/assigning-languages/

If not then this blogpost can help you find where to set the domain. http://blog.globalizationpartners.com/umbraco-multi-language.aspx

Hope this helps, and make sense.

/Dennis

May 26, 2015 @ 22:33
    Neil

Yes, this does make sense, and this is the vague inkling I had on how it ought to be done. So, I set the subdomain to whatever I'd like, then whatever pages within the larger site point to it. Sounds easy!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft