Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    May 27, 2015 @ 11:02
    Fredrik Esseen

Handling bookings as nodes?

Hi!

Im about to build a site that handles bookings to different camps. There is about 50 "camp-places" and every camp-place can host several camps during a season. 

When using older versions of Umbraco (4.7 and 6) Ive always built that kind of functionality outside Umbraco, widh separate tables for holding camps and unique bookings.

But now I was thinking of using the built in node system. Each camp-place has its own node with subnodes for each camp and each camp has sub nodes for each booking.

The problem before was that the tree got kind of heavy if building it that way and in the end that would lead to thousands of nodes.

In this new version of Umbraco, is this a recommended way to go? I would really like to do it that way as it s very easy both to me and the camp-admins.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 27, 2015 @ 11:26
    Ismail Mayat

froad,

We recently did something similar on site we built, extranet users could create packages of models for booking. We went live with packages as nodes but soon had speed issues, we swapped out nodes for db instead.

Regards

Ismail

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 27, 2015 @ 11:37
    Hendy Racher

Hi Froad,

At first impression, I'd be inclined to split it such that the booking nodes were in a database table outside of Umbraco, as I'm guessing bookings are likely to be the bulk of the data (and likely to grow) and I'm also guessing that they are unlikely to require the cms facilities of versioning and content manipulation ? (You could still render the booking items within a custom tree, grouped however you like, eg by camp, or even on a tab on the camp node itself using a property editor like nuPickers: SQL Labels).

Hendy

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    May 27, 2015 @ 13:01
    Fredrik Esseen

Thanks for the replies! Then db solution it is for the bookings. But if I could attach the bookings to a camp with a property editor, then it would work anyhow!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft