Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Herbert 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jul 14, 2015 @ 11:19
    Scott Herbert

The best way to bulk upload content

Hi all,

We're currently in the process of moving our external facing web site to Umbraco. As part of the process we need to pull the old content and upload it to the new site.

When I did a similar thing with our internal site and wordpress, the essayist way was to add the content directly to the database, and this was the way I've been trying to do it with Umbraco. However Umbraco has a much more complex database then wordpress and this is proving to be a fruitless (if not dangerous, in terms of trashing the test database).

After looking around I located the API (Doh! why I didn't think their may be an inbuilt way of doing this I don't know), but I can't see how to get started with them (Do I need to build a usercontrol within Umbraco that imports the data? Can I talk to Umbraco's API from a third site? Can I talk to Umbraco's API via a Console app?)

Any noddy guides "hello world" tutorials would be gratefully received. Thanks

• Gary Devenay 39 posts 245 karma points
    Jul 14, 2015 @ 12:00
    Gary Devenay

Hi Scott,

For this you have a couple of options:

First and easiest would be CMSImport (https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/cmsimport). CMSImport is a paid for Umbraco package which will allow you to connect and import from your existing database.

Another option would be to create an UmbracoApiController (see Documentation) that uses the ContentService API as you mentioned to create new content nodes. This will allow you to loop through your existing content and using POST to your ApiController, create new nodes in Umbraco.

As for talking to your API via console - unfortunately this would not be possible as the ServiceAPI's require a web context to be used.

There are a few other options for this, but the two I have mentioned above are my preferred options.

Hope this is of assistance!

Gary

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft