Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Wyverex 7 posts 27 karma points
    Feb 01, 2010 @ 20:00
    Wyverex

Weird behavior of Language.GetByCultureCode()

Hi,

according to the documentation, Language.GetByCultureCode() should return null when you pass in a culture code that is not set up for your site. Since my website is a 1:1 multi-lingual site and the language can be chosen by appending a simple query string parameter, I thought: "Hey, that's nice, I'll just pass the chosen culture code in and if it returns null, the user put in a wrong culture code so I use some other fallback language". So far for the theory...

As long as I pass in a configured culture, everything works fine. But whenever I pass in a culture code that is not configured in the backend, I get an ugly exception like this:

[ArgumentNullException: Der Wert darf nicht NULL sein. (<- The value may not be NULL)
    Parametername: value]
       System.Web.Caching.CacheEntry..ctor(String key, Object value, CacheDependency dependency, CacheItemRemovedCallback onRemovedHandler, DateTime utcAbsoluteExpiration, TimeSpan slidingExpiration, CacheItemPriority priority, Boolean isPublic) +11229394
       System.Web.Caching.CacheInternal.DoInsert(Boolean isPublic, String key, Object value, CacheDependency dependencies, DateTime utcAbsoluteExpiration, TimeSpan slidingExpiration, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback onRemoveCallback, Boolean replace) +146
       System.Web.Caching.Cache.Add(String key, Object value, CacheDependency dependencies, DateTime absoluteExpiration, TimeSpan slidingExpiration, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback onRemoveCallback) +126
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) +251
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) +129
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) +115
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Object syncLock, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) +89
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.language.Language.GetByCultureCode(String CultureCode) +215

I saw that some other people already had problems with this and it seems that they had wrong culture codes configured in their database. Unfortunately, that's not the case for me. I have two cultures set up in my umbracoLanguage table, each one with correct values.

So what could be causing this?

Or, alternatively, is there another way to determine whether a specific culture exists?

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft