Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• BillyTheKid 3 posts 105 karma points
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 06:39
    BillyTheKid

Getting Descendants from Root node

I'm trying to get all descendants of the rootnode (or any node for that matter) from my UmbracoApiController, filtered with Linq.

So basicly what I would want to do is:

rootnode.Descendants(a => a.DocumentTypeAlias == "myDocType" && a.Name == "myName")

This is documented at: https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Implementation/Routing/MVC/querying

But somehow, when I select the rootnode form the UmbracoApiController, my IPublishedContent object doesn't have a Descendants() method.

var root = Umbraco.TypedContentAtRoot().First();

It does have a Children property, but obviously this only returns all the direct children, and not all descendants.

How else am I able to select all documents, filtered by DocumentTypeAlias, and probably also by other properties (CreatedAt for example)?

• Kevin Jump 2309 posts 14673 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 10:57
    Kevin Jump

Hi

it should have decendants ...

root.Descendants().Where(x => x.DocumentTypeAlias == "someDocType"); 

things to check.

1. Visual studio 2015 - doesn't do intellisense properly for Umbraco (pre v7.3) - it's an MVC4 / 5 thing, but that might be why you can't see it?

2. Inheritance - my views are using

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoTemplatePage

if you're inheriting from a model again Intellisense (and the site) might not work.

however, if you want to do things sitewide, i would say have a look at examine, getting nodes of type across a whole site can take some time, using examine is slightly more complex but way faster.

failing that cache the macro or partial view because that will make it quick too.

• BillyTheKid 3 posts 105 karma points
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 11:57
    BillyTheKid

I do using Visual Studio 2015, but it's not compiling, so IDE should'nt matter.

I managed to fix this however by using the UmbracoHelper

var umbracoHelper = new UmbracoHelper(UmbracoContext.Current);
    var blogs = umbracoHelper.TypedContentAtRoot().First().Descendants("Blog").ToList();

• milkman matty 31 posts 125 karma points
    Aug 30, 2018 @ 04:11
    milkman matty

I ran into the same issue, turns out I was missing a using statement. I had

using Umbraco.Web.Mvc;

But also needed to have

using Umbraco.Web;

Then the descendants option showed up.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft