Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Sep 07, 2015 @ 11:07
    David Peck

Performance for user generated content

I have some content which is user generated. At the peak of a campaign we might expect a new piece of content to be generated every minute or so. Do you know if these relatively intense publish events will have a significant impact on performance?

I'm not sure it's relevant but this is also in a load balanced environment.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Sep 07, 2015 @ 11:46
    Dan Diplo

I think it potentially will. I believe anytime any page is published this invalidates Umbraco's internal cache, which means any caching (eg. macros, partials) that you use will very short lived.

Also, every publish event regenerates the XML config file and also involves quite a lot of Umbraco DB hits. In a load-balanced environment it will also case cache refreshers to fire.

I'm not saying Umbraco won't cope (as it completely depends on how many simultaneous users you have, server set-up, how you've coded queries etc) but I imagine it will have a measurable impact.

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Sep 07, 2015 @ 12:06
    David Peck

Thanks Dan. That makes sense, but it's a shame to not be able to use the content service for user generated content.

I'd thought the XML isn't written out after every publish event, but retained in memory only until the application closes and/or a timed basis. However it sounds like I made that up!

I may be saved in that the content comes from a webhook, which fires with all the content received after the last 5 mintues, so hopefully X publish events as part of the same request won't cause the same sort of overhead.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft