Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Sep 11, 2015 @ 01:28
    Saied

RedirectToUmbracoPage with custom model after form post?

How can I do a POST and RedirectToUmbracoPage() with a custom model. As far as I can tell, RedirectToUmbracoPage takes a nodeId, but I couldn't tell how to pass it my custom model. The model I have does inherit from RenderModel, but I am getting the error that my view expects my custom model, but it was passed a RenderModel.

Initially, I was just returning View("page"), but this causes another post on refresh, so what I would really like to do is redirect the user? Also, I am not sure if a POST is what I need because I am basically searching a database and returning results, I am actually not saving any data, but I am not sure how to do what I want with a GET?

In a nutshell, I want to search a database with some Form values, get the data into a model and redirect the user to another page with my model?

Below works without a custom model, now it is just a matter of getting that in there.

var nodeId = Convert.ToInt32(CurrentPage.GetProperty("NoProductsFoundUrl").DataValue);

return RedirectToUmbracoPage(nodeId);

Thanks, Saied

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Sep 13, 2015 @ 21:14
    Andy Butland

It sounds to me that it's probably a GET that you need in this scenario. As you suggest, POSTs are intended (in general web development, not just in Umbraco) for when they trigger a change. For a search, it would sound like a GET would be more appropriate.

For your scenario I would take a look at route hijacking, and create a controller that responds to the particular doc type/template you are rendering. You can then pass additional parameters to that action method, populate a custom model as you need and return it to your view.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Sep 14, 2015 @ 04:16
    Saied

Hi Andy,

I accomplished it using a GET with @Html.BeginUmbracoForm, but it appends a upfrt to the url which is really long. I tried doing a normal @Html.BeginForm and form action..., but none of those change the view of the page. The only one that does is @Html.BeginUmbracoForm. Here is the code for the form:

@model ProductFilterModel
    @using (@Html.BeginUmbracoForm("Search", "ProductSearch", new {@Model }, new { @class = "vehicle-filter group", @id = "productFilterForm" }, FormMethod.Get))
    {

<div class="select">
        <select id="YearDropDownList" name="VehicleYearId" class="year" data-request-url="@Url.Action("GetVehicleYears","ProductFilter")"></select>
        @Html.HiddenFor(x => x.VehicleYear)

</div>

<div class="select">
        <select id="MakeDropDownList" name="VehicleMakeId" class="make" disabled data-request-url="@Url.Action("GetVehicleMakes","ProductFilter")"></select>
        @Html.HiddenFor(x => x.VehicleMake)

</div>

<div class="select">
        <select id="ModelDropDownList" name="VehicleModelId" class="model" disabled data-request-url="@Url.Action("GetVehicleModels","ProductFilter")"></select>
        @Html.HiddenFor(x => x.VehicleModel)

</div>

<div class="select">
        <select id="EngineDropDownList" name="VehicleEngineId" class="engine" disabled data-request-url="@Url.Action("GetVehicleEngines","ProductFilter")"></select>
        @Html.HiddenFor(x => x.VehicleEngine)
        <input type="hidden" id="previousMakeSelected"/>
    </div>

<button id="search" type="submit" class="search-button" disabled>SEARCH</button>

The Search ActionResult method is here:

public ActionResult Search(ProductFilterModel productFilterModel)
        {

var db = new Database("productsDb");
            var productSearchResultsModel = new ProductSearchResultsModel
            {
                ProductFilterModel = productFilterModel,
                Products = db.Fetch<ProductViewModel>(@"SELECT DISTINCT(p.ProductID) As ProductId, Type, Name, PartNumber, ShortDescription
                                                        FROM Products p
                                                        INNER JOIN productlink pl on pl.ProductID = p.ProductID
                                                        INNER JOIN vehicles v on v.VehicleID = pl.VehicleID
                                                        WHERE Brand = 'SCT'
                                                        AND v.Make = @VehicleMakeId
                                                        AND v.Model = @VehicleModelId
                                                        AND v.Engine = @VehicleEngineId
                                                        AND v.Year = @VehicleYearId", new { productFilterModel.VehicleYearId, productFilterModel.VehicleMakeId, productFilterModel.VehicleModelId, productFilterModel.VehicleEngineId })
            };

if(productSearchResultsModel.Products.Any())
                return View("~/Views/ProductsFound.cshtml",productSearchResultsModel);

return View("~/Views/NoProductsFound.cshtml", productFilterModel);
        }

I noticed if I do a normal form with a GET or do a @Html.BeginForm, it submits the form, but it calls calls javascript and doesn't render the new view with the product results. Any ideas on why this is happening?

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Sep 14, 2015 @ 19:06
    Andy Butland

Afraid not Saied, sorry. As far as I can see you should just have a form posting a GET request to the product search page. Using Html.BeginForm or just a <form /> element.

• Nik 1599 posts 7179 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Sep 14, 2015 @ 19:47
    Nik

Hi Saied,

Something you could try is putting the model into a TempData field and then on your "no products found" page you check the TempData to see if it contains anything. If it does you use that instead of the model.

Sep 14, 2015 @ 21:41
    Saied

Nik,

I thought about doing this, but not wasn't sure if TempData was the right tool for the job?

• Nik 1599 posts 7179 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Sep 15, 2015 @ 08:06
    Nik

Temp data is your best bet as is can persist against a change in request. However, you could also try ViewData first.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft