Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Sep 28, 2015 @ 22:06
    Mark Bowser

Umbraco.TypedContent throws object null reference exception when passed an unpublished nodeId

I am working on an umbraco v7.2.8 site. When I have Umbraco.TypedContent(1024); when node with id 1024 is unpublished, Umbraco throws a NullReferenceException. I thought it was just supposed to return null if something that was picked is unpublished. I swear code like this used to work.

var myNode = Umbraco.TypedContent(1024);
    if(myNode == null)
    {
        // deal with it
    }

// do stuff with myNode

Can anyone set me straight?

Sep 28, 2015 @ 22:40
    Mark Bowser

It looks like the Umbraco.TypedContent method that accepts an array of integers still works as expected.

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 29, 2015 @ 05:29
    Robert Foster

perhaps you could show the stacktrace for the NullReferenceException?

Looking at the current Umbraco source code, it should indeed return null if it's not found in the cache; so there may be something else going on; and if this is in Razor then it's highly likely that your error is in an entirely different spot in the template.

Sep 29, 2015 @ 15:52
    Mark Bowser

Oh ya. Sorry about that. Here is the full exception:

Block Exception:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at ASP._Page_Views_Partials_RelatedProductsBlock_cshtml.Execute() in c:\Websites\mywebsite\mywebsite_git\src\mywebsite\Views\Partials\RelatedProductsBlock.cshtml:line 15
       at System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy()
       at System.Web.Mvc.WebViewPage.ExecutePageHierarchy()
       at System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage)
       at Umbraco.Core.Profiling.ProfilingView.Render(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer)
       at System.Web.Mvc.Html.PartialExtensions.Partial(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String partialViewName, Object model, ViewDataDictionary viewData)
       at WebBlocks.Views.RenderingEngines.PartialViewRenderingEngine.Render(HtmlHelper html)

This is the partial view. We are using the v7 Mentor Web Blocks package. That's why you see references to CurrentBlock. This is on of the block partial view templates.

@inherits WebBlocks.ViewTemplates.WebBlocksTemplatePage

@{  
        var title = CurrentBlock.HasValue("title") ? CurrentBlock.title : CurrentBlock.Name;

if(CurrentBlock.HasValue("relatedProducts"))
        {
            var relatedProductIds = CurrentBlock.relatedProducts.Split(',');   
            <div class="content_box resources">                               
                <div class="content_box_inner_wrapper">
                    <h2>@title</h2>
                    <ul>
                        @foreach (string relatedProductId in relatedProductIds)
                        {
                            var relatedProduct = Umbraco.TypedContent(relatedProductId);
                            <li><a href="@relatedProduct.Url">@relatedProduct.Name</a></li>
                        }
                    </ul>
                </div>
            </div>
        }
    }

I can add a breakpoint and step through. relatedProductIds will have multiple nodeIds. Everything is fine until I hit Umbraco.TypedContent(relatedProductId) with an id to a node that is unpublished. Then everything explodes. If I publish the unpublished node, the error goes away. The error will come back if I unpublish the node again. I've tested it with multiple nodes. It isn't just one corrupted node.

I get the same exception in the backoffice block preview and on the frontend of the website. I'm pretty confident that it isn't an issue with Web Blocks. It might be interesting to note that I imported all of the content in this site from a v6 version of the site via customized version of the Conveyor package. Conveyor leverages the ContentService and MediaService though. It isn't doing anything strange as far as the content creation goes. Everything else in the site seems to work as well.

Sep 30, 2015 @ 18:52
    Mark Bowser

I was able to work around the problem. It looks like the overloads for TypedContent that take an IEnumerable<string> or an IEnumerable<int> don't have any problems. I just refactored the code a bit, so it works like this. I think this is a little bit prettier than what I had anyways.

@inherits WebBlocks.ViewTemplates.WebBlocksTemplatePage

@{  
        var title = CurrentBlock.HasValue("title") ? CurrentBlock.title : CurrentBlock.Name;

if(CurrentBlock.HasValue("relatedProducts"))
        {
            var relatedProductIdString = CurrentBlock.relatedProducts as string ?? "";
            var relatedProductIds = relatedProductIdString.Split(',');
            var relatedProducts = Umbraco.TypedContent(relatedProductIds);
            <div class="content_box resources">                               
                <div class="content_box_inner_wrapper">
                    <h2>@title</h2>
                    <ul>
                        @foreach (var relatedProduct in relatedProducts.Where(p => p != null))
                        {
                        }
                    </ul>
                </div>
            </div>
        }
    }

I'd still like to understand what was happening with the TypedContent method that takes a single int or a string.

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 12:07
    Stephen

The TypedContent with a single integer does return null when the content is not published. However your code does:

{
    }

And there, you are not testing whether relatedProduct is null. Hence the nullref exception. Should be:

{
      if (relatedProduct == null) continue;
    }

Alternatively, your workaround would work, too -- and I'm pretty sure you don't need the "p != null" test because relatedProducts would not contain nulls.

Feb 12, 2016 @ 22:01
    Mark Bowser

Huh. I do this a million times a day. Dunno why I didn't see that... For three days in a row... Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft