Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Findlater 2 posts 74 karma points
    Oct 02, 2015 @ 08:59
    Mark Findlater

Umbraco Member Custom Properties

Hi Our!

I have just started out on my first Umbraco project (and, in fact, my first ASP/C#/MVC project). On the whole I am happy with how everything works. I have configured a custom Member Type and have created a form to enable membership creation. But I have noticed a difference in data types.

When I create a member using the BackOffice, any properties that use a DropDown control store the ValueRef from the enumeration of values. If I use the Razor Partial View for a user facing form, it will default to a String value. I have created my own form, and I can pass either the ValueRef ID, or the String value, but which is correct - and what is the impact on querying my Members at a later date (say that I want a query which returns members, with all their custom property values (as strings) joined to a separate "Answers" table)?

Not being familiar with this way of doing things (very familiar with Java/SQL) my inclination is to actually take all my custom properties and map them to a separate (non-umbraco) table (I will have a lot of tables anyway).

Apologies if this is a crazy question, I have looked around a lot, but it seems like most people are mixing Strings and ints (ValueRefs). Would my life be easier if I just changed the backoffice membership type to only have TextBox properties? (Which I guess would at least mean that the stored values would render in the BackOffice, as they do not at the moment)

Thanks,

Mark.

• Mark Findlater 2 posts 74 karma points
    Oct 05, 2015 @ 09:15
    Mark Findlater

So, I have ended up with what feels like a bit of a mishmash!

When populating the form for register, I pull values from Umbraco and store them in a Dictionary using using (Where the Dictionary stores the ID and the PreValue String):

Dictionary<int, String> ethnicities = UmbracoDataHelper.ValuesForDropdown(service, "Dropdown - Ethnicity");

Then when registering a new Member I use (which stores the PreValue ID, rather than the String value):

var member = memberService.CreateMember(model.Email, model.Email, model.Firstname + " " + model.Surname, model.MemberTypeAlias);

member.SetValue("ethnicity", model.Ethnicity);

Which makes register play nicely with the BackOffice views.

When a Member is viewing their own account I use:

MembershipUser memberUser = Membership.GetUser();
    var typedMember = Umbraco.TypedMember(memberUser.ProviderUserKey);

SetDataValueIfExists(typedMember, "ethnicity", value => rmm.Ethnicity = value);

private void SetDataValueIfExists(IPublishedContent tm, String testValue, Action<String> setValue)
    {
        if (tm.GetProperty(testValue).HasValue)
        {
            setValue((String)tm.GetProperty(testValue).DataValue);
        }
    }

Which gets me the String values for a Member to see. And when a Member is editing their own account to populate the form I use the below which gives me the PreValue IDs:

var memberService = Services.MemberService;
    var profileModel = Members.GetCurrentMemberProfileModel();
    var member = memberService.GetByEmail(profileModel.Email);

SetValueIfExists(member, "ethnicity", value => rmm.Ethnicity = value);

private void SetValueIfExists(IMember member, String testValue, Action<String> setValue)
    {
        if (member.HasProperty(testValue) && member.GetValue(testValue) != null)
        {
            setValue(member.GetValue(testValue).ToString());
        }
    }

This is all working just fine, have I done anything crazy in there? Is that how I am expected to develop using the various Members[hip] APIs?

Remaining question - is there a tidy way to perform a query that will join the membership table to my custom tables and pull out data values rather than IDs? Or is it the case that I need to pull the raw member data from Umbraco and then perform a manual join with my own tables?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft