Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steven Wilber 103 posts 98 karma points
    Feb 15, 2010 @ 12:42
    Steven Wilber

How to tell if a Content node is published?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of the "proper" way to tell if a Content object is published.

The two options that I can see are:

a) Create a Document object based on the ID of the Content object and check its Published property - this seems to involve an unnecessary creation of a Document object for such a simple check

b) Check if the path starts with "-1" - this seems to be a bit of a hacky way that may not be future proof.

So it is perfectly possible, I just wondered what the "proper" cheap way is.

Cheers

Steve

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Feb 15, 2010 @ 12:53
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Hi Steve,

simple, if you use XSLT to view the Content, all you get IS published. The umbraco.config-file (which is used when you use XSLT) does not contain unpublished nodes.

If you do want unpublished nodes, then, yes, the only way I know of is to create the document.

HTH,

Peter

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 15, 2010 @ 13:04
    Dirk De Grave

Peter's right, if it can't be found using

Node node = new Node(id);

then it's not published. If you really need to have info on the node, use 

Document doc = new Document(id);

(be aware that this latter requires quite some db traffic, so don't use this in the frontend unless it's absolutely necessary)

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Steven Wilber 103 posts 98 karma points
    Feb 17, 2010 @ 13:43
    Steven Wilber

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I'm not in XSLT, just plain C#, so the Node node = new Node(id) seems the best way to go.

Inadvertantly Dirk you've brought to my attention the cost of the Document object, which I had not realised, so thanks for that.

Cheers

Steve

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft