Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 15:52
    Gordon Saxby

Search for links in content with Examine

I need to search all content (2000+ nodes?) for links to a specific node. The content field is a Rich Text Editor (TinyMCE).

I have found that the standard internal index strips out the HTML, leaving only the content - therefore the "localLink" value is not there:

<a href="/{localLink:18746}" title="Your Page">Your page</a>

Looking at the index content, I see there are fields with a prefix of _RAW that do actually contain the real content (of the RTE). Do I need to include those in the index? Is there another, better way?

Alternatively, would I be better off using the API and doing something like

var nodes = HomePage.Descendants().where(...)

considering that there are so many nodes to search through?

Btw, this is for an admin report, not content on the site itself.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 03, 2015 @ 09:47
    Ismail Mayat

Gordon,

The _RAW is not tokenised only stored therefore not searchable. However you could use gatheringnode data event and inject into new field the field content encoded although the url will not be present however the localLink code will. I did something like this ages ago was for old version of umbraco see https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/cogworks-cogitemusage/ so it was finding item usage in content including links.

I will try and dig out source code but in meantime download and extract page and reflect into dlls (DO NOT INSTALL THE PACKAGE ITS VERY OLD THINK V4 compatible only).

Regards

Ismail

Nov 03, 2015 @ 09:49
    Gordon Saxby

It appears as though Examine is not going to be helpful in performing this type of search (finding links), which seems odd!?

Can anyone show me a way that I can do it? Or should I abandon the idea of using Examine and go with "node.descendants()"?

Nov 03, 2015 @ 09:59
    Ismail Mayat

Gordon,

You can has source https://github.com/ismailmayat/cogitemusage

;-}

Nov 03, 2015 @ 10:17
    Gordon Saxby

Thanks Ismail, I will take a look.

I did think about creating my own field to concatenate all of the possible content fields (due to the project history, there are LOTS of fields).

However, maybe I could do the processing at the gatheringnodedata event and basically create a new field containing a list of outward links (node Ids) for the node. Then the Examine search would be nice and easy :-)

Nov 03, 2015 @ 11:13
    Ismail Mayat

Gordon,

This is what I did when i created that data type and it works albeit for very old Umbraco version however in theory you are looking todo something very similar.

Examine out of the box will not give you everything, however you have extensiblity points like gatheringnode and documentwriting and this is where the magic happens you can extend and bend examine to your will!

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft