Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg Manrodt 4 posts 96 karma points
    Nov 04, 2015 @ 17:52
    Greg Manrodt

Claims from External Identity

We are using Umbraco v7.3, and have it configured to authenticate (backoffice) users against an external identity provider. There are claims that are part of the ClaimsIdentity from the external provider which we need to use in the Backoffice of Umbraco.

I was looking at the Umbraco source and see the TODO (line 481) which indicates there were some thoughts about passing external claims to the UmbracoBackOfficeIdentity. What are the plans for this?

(I have gotten the code from Git, and modified it to do what I need, but this requires me to include 13+ additional projects in my solution, along with ~5000 Umbraco files. Additionally, it will make future upgrades more difficult.)

Additionally, I was wondering if there were plans to improve the workflow for "linking" an Umbraco user with an external identity. In the current implementation, it feels a little goofy that I have to create an Umbraco user, log in as that user, then link it to my external provider identity. After the linking, I can still authenticate to the Umbraco backoffice using either my external provider, or my Umbraco username/pwd, which also seems goofy. Essentially, this doubles all the user management scenarios for an organization (new user setup; user deprovisioning; user name changes; etc. all must occur in both the Umbraco backoffice and external provider.)

• Tony Cheetham 24 posts 134 karma points
    Nov 06, 2015 @ 16:16
    Tony Cheetham

This is a similar place I am currently stuck in... It seems the code is really a first shot at this integration, and as such is not fully matured.

I am currently working at overriding the login process that checks an external provider against the usermanager, and allowing it to create users based on data passed from the external provider. This seems like it will work and provide a seamless external login scenario.

I am still working on it though, so no code to share yet I'm afraid.

• Tony Cheetham 24 posts 134 karma points
    Nov 06, 2015 @ 17:15
    Tony Cheetham

Just found this, it seems relevant.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6753

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft