Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig O'Mahony 364 posts 918 karma points
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 11:11
    Craig O'Mahony

Member Is Locked Out

Hi all,

Wonder if someone could spare me a few mins please. I have a live site and some of the site members are being locked out by the Is Locked Out flag being set to true against their particular record. I wasn't even aware of this flag until a couple of days ago (!) and I don't know what's setting this flag from false to true.

I thought that it might be being set after a certain number of login attempts fail but try as I might I can't seem to replicate whatever is setting the flag.

Does anyone have any information on field and what criteria causes it to be set? And can I stop it from setting?

Thanks, Craig

enter image description here

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 12:49
    Sebastiaan Janssen

On the UsersMembershipProvider you can add maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="10" or whatever value you want so people won't get locked out so easily. I believe the default is 10.

This default is there so that you are not prone to password guessing attacks.

• Bijesh Tank 192 posts 420 karma points
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 12:53
    Bijesh Tank

Hi Craig,

I was facing this similar issue too. I couldn't find a way to disable it but it the number of attempts is configurable in the web.config in the membership settings. I set the maxInvalidPasswordAttempts to a high value to try and circumvent the situation

<add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.MembersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="8" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="10000" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Member" passwordFormat="Hashed" />

/B.

• Craig O'Mahony 364 posts 918 karma points
    Feb 09, 2016 @ 14:17
    Craig O'Mahony

Cool, thanks for that I shall give that a whirl

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft