Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bharath 40 posts 62 karma points
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 21:45
    Bharath

How to use Umbraco API and programmatically access the content tree in umbraco cms ???

How to use Umbraco API and programmatically access the content tree in umbraco cms ???

Reason:

I would like to extend the Umbraco CMS content data to other external systems / sites.

When i want to extend Umbraco with other sites Visual Studio Projects, what are the steps, APIs i need to make use of?

Say for example,

1. What are the Web.config changes that need to be included inorder to consume the Umbraco CMS content data through API?

2. What are the Visual Studio DLL references that i need to include?

3. Say i need to get the Content Tree representation and lookup the Documents programmatically through API?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 22:16
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Bharath,

A few options to explore:

- use document api to get document content info. Good place to start are the msdn style docs found here

- use the webservices available oob or build your own that provide the necessary info for 3rd party systems. Just have to enable webservices in umbracoSettings.config before being able to use the webservices.

<webservices enabled="True">
        <!-- You must set user-rights for each service. Enter the usernames seperated with comma (,) -->
        <documentServiceUsers>admin</documentServiceUsers>
        <fileServiceUsers>your-username</fileServiceUsers>
        <stylesheetServiceUsers>your-username</stylesheetServiceUsers>
        <memberServiceUsers>your-username</memberServiceUsers>
        <templateServiceUsers>your-username</templateServiceUsers>
        <!-- type of files (extensions) that are allowed for the file service -->
        <fileServiceFolders>css,xslt</fileServiceFolders>
      </webservices>

in this case, webservices are enabled and admin user has access to the documentService service.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

• Bharath 40 posts 62 karma points
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 22:46
    Bharath

Thanks for the reply. Is there any sample VS 2008 project solution available in Blogs or forum where i can download and try understanding suing the web services, etc?

Actually... i want this scenario to do...

Customers will do content authoring using Umbraco which i need to fetch using umbraco APIs and use in some set of web applications. I want to read only the publish nodes of Umbraco and also like to iterate through the Content Tree in Umbraco to get the desired data from Umbraco CMS database.

I have a webapplication with n-tier layered architecture as following

# Presentation Layer

# Business Entities

# Business Logic Layer

# Data Access Layer

In Data Access Layer (Assembly),

I need to fetch the Umbraco Data ==> Data Transformed to Business Entity (Generics collections) ==> respond to Business Logic Layer in the format of Business Entities .... and not in the format of Document or DocumentType, etc...

This is something like...

I want to achieve the abstraction of CMS layer from Presentation layer.

Hope you are getting what i am expecting to acheive. Please suggest.

• shweta 4 posts 24 karma points
    Aug 03, 2010 @ 11:56
    shweta

Hi I am new to Umbraco and I want to get the content of the umbraco using API and node id. I dont want to use the template. How is it possible?

• sravani 50 posts 70 karma points
    Apr 06, 2011 @ 09:46
    sravani

Hi Bharath...

Did you find any solution..... I have same problem please help me if anything you had .....

• Esben Rasmussen 1 post 21 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 22:02
    Esben Rasmussen

The webservice thingie doesent work with Umbraco 5.1. There is no umbracosettings.config.

Please advise...

• Shuchita 41 posts 150 karma points
    Aug 06, 2013 @ 12:30
    Shuchita

Hey Guys,

Did you get any solution to this problem?

I need to use Umbraco 6.1.3 API to fetch the content tree data.

Please help...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft