Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Stannard 14 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 23, 2010 @ 11:28
    Andrew Stannard

API issues with umbracoSettings.config

Hi, I had setup the API and have been able to remotley retrieve a collection of umbraco node using the API. The problems started when I tried to update them and I kept getting stack overflow exceptions. I could not find any answers on the forum that worked for me so I downloaded the umbraco source code so I could step into the umbraco functionality to see where the crashes where occuring. The first crash due was to an infinate loop leading to a stack overload exception that occured when the code logged some information. I commented out the line and tried again, and it crashed on another log and then on looking up umbraco settings for things like XmlCacheEnabled.

To finally get to my question do I need the umbracoSettings.config file on the remote compter accessing umbraco via the api and if so how do I set it up in my remote application?

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Apr 23, 2010 @ 11:42
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Andrew,

You'll need the Umbraco install to get the nodes. In the next version 4.1 I've heard that  it should be possible to get nodes using Linq. For now I suggest you create a webservice in your Umbraco Install that retrieves the nodes and let your remote application retrieve  the info you want through that webservice.

Cheers,

Richard

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Apr 23, 2010 @ 14:59
    Dirk De Grave

+1 on using webservices to expose the functionality that's required. For the webservices part, umbraco comes with some services oob, so you could use those. Only a single drawback that users get wrongly authenticated, but Darren has a fix for this.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Apr 23, 2010 @ 16:12
    Andrew Stannard

Thanks for the advice I will look into using the web services to get it done.

Apr 27, 2010 @ 12:00
    Andrew Stannard

Hi I got it working with web services thanks, the only issue is that I need to recycle the app pool for the updated values to display. I turned of xml caching to see if that helped but no joy. But happy that it is publishing now.

thanks for the help

Andy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft