Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eran 292 posts 436 karma points
    Jun 28, 2010 @ 17:36
    Eran

where to place my asmx web service?

hello,

i developed a ajax contact form, that send data using jquery/json to web service. (the asmx also read data from config files and dictionary items. if that info is important..)

what is the steps that i need to do:

where to place the asmx?

do i need to register the dll in the web.config?

do i need to give some permission and special configuration?

do i miss somthing?

Thanks!

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 28, 2010 @ 17:38
    Ismail Mayat

eran,

I usually keep my webservice files in /umbraco/webservices and you will need to copy dll over to bin.

Regards

Ismail

Jun 28, 2010 @ 17:59
    Eran

Thanks!

that works for me too at the first try!

Eran.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 29, 2010 @ 05:16
    Aaron Powell

I don't recommend that you put any files within the /umbraco folder.

The /umbraco folder should represent files which came from the Umbraco install and can be completely replaced at any point in time (at least, in my opinion)

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jun 29, 2010 @ 09:53
    Dirk De Grave

I agree, do not put non core files in those folders to avoid upgrade nightmares. Instead, create your own directory structure and have that folder ignored by the umbraco runtime using some configuration in web.config:

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/,~/mywebservicefolder" />

Cheers,

/Dirk

Jun 29, 2010 @ 09:58
    Aaron Powell

Actually Dirk Umbraco will ignore ASMX regardless of where it is since it's not an ASPX extension.

That's why you don't have to explicitly exclude folders containing CSS or JavaScript

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jun 29, 2010 @ 10:06
    Dirk De Grave

Good point, so I should state more clearly that the settings should be used for files/folders that hold files having the aspx extension.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jun 29, 2010 @ 10:10
    Lee Kelleher

@slace RE: I don't recommend that you put any files within the /umbraco folder.

Going off the original topic, often package developers have to put files in the /umbraco folder ... especially for back-office extensions, as the UI makes assumptions about the location for various images - like the tray icons. (There are others, but can't remember right now.)

Is there a recommended location where package developers should place their files?

Cheers, Lee

Jun 29, 2010 @ 11:38
    Aaron Powell

And here Lee you've touched on what is an inherent problem with the current Umbraco and package developers.

I'd much prefer to see a plugins folder where everything I install gets put, so in one easy look I can see everything that I've got installed into the Umbraco instance. But this is talking about a theoretical world of Umbraco which we will hopefully achieve with v5 :P.

With the back-office packages it's actually quite easy with v4.5 to get around the problem of knowing where the files are. Client Dependency will actually hook that up for you. Provided you're registering your scripts and CSS with client dependency it'll be nicely handled on your behalf.

The (few) packages I've put together though I try and embed as much as I can into the assembly which ships. The Media Link Checker ships only 2 files IIRC, one for the ASCX and one for the DLL, but it has 6 images, some CSS and JavaScript, all of which is embedded as resources (or in the ASCX).

It'd be great if we'd get some guidelines around doing the UI aspect of the packages *hint hint*

Jun 29, 2010 @ 12:06
    Eran

thanks guys,  i created my new directory structure and put the webservice there (actually i did it as my first solution, because its the most logic one to choose..).

i'm also think that there will be one centeral location to do like plugin folder. hope to see that in version 5!

Thanks.

• Jeff Grine 149 posts 189 karma points
    Jun 29, 2010 @ 14:40
    Jeff Grine

Seems like as long as you're careful with naming any folders you put in the umbraco folder, there shouldn't be much of a problem with upgrades? If I add a prefix to all of my folders/files, it's unlikely that the umbraco team is going to add a file with the same name.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft