Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mhutter 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jul 13, 2010 @ 20:26
    mhutter

Question about data storage...when xml vs. table?

I was just wondering when it is appropriate to us the standard umbraco document to store data vs creating a table in the db to store data?

Take comments for example, it appears that the comments from a Blog4Umbraco package are saved in the Comments table in the database.

Why not just use the umbraco document type to create these entries?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 13, 2010 @ 20:40
    Morten Bock

I would typically consider a few factors:

1: Are you expecting massive amounts of data?
    2: Do you need versioning of the data?
    3: Is the data structured? F.ex. would you like to use the data in more than one place? Does it need it's own url?
    4: Who will create/edit the data? Will you editors want to edit the data in the backend?

If we look at comments specifically, then I like the DB approach because it is data that is created once, and not edited. Also, the amount of comments can become massive (think of the spam bots). On my own site, I store comments in the content tree, and the spam bots are using up a lot of node id's in my site, and it is driving me nuts.

It will always be a trade off between having an out of the box editing interface, vs. maybe having to create a CRUD UI yourself. And it depends a bit on how your editors are supposed to work with the content.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 13, 2010 @ 20:53
    Dirk De Grave

Agree with Morten, you shouldn't be using umbraco infrastructure to store data that doesn't need versioning, and no one is ever going to create/edit such data in the admin backend.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• mhutter 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jul 13, 2010 @ 20:57
    mhutter

That makes perfect sense and helps a ton...thank you very much!

Mike

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft