Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kurniawan Kurniawan 202 posts 225 karma points
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 06:40
    Kurniawan Kurniawan

Best Practice to manage multisites

Hi All,

Anyone knows what is the best practice to manage multi sites.

For example I will build 2 sites.. one is for product A and other for Product B.

but It will be publish on 2 domains.

Is it good to have just single umbraco installed ?

I have read the book but it can't share the templates as well. so kind of useless.

Is Umbraco to be designed for multiple web sites ?

Thanks

• curlybub 133 posts 107 karma points
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 07:52
    curlybub

Hi Kurniawan,

I'm currently running 2 sites on a single umbraco installation using the "Manage Hostname" feature of umbraco. I published it in 2 domains, www.mywebsite.com (for the root site) and application.mywebsite.com(a sub domain of the root website).

Your umbraco content tree should be something like this:

Content
      ---- Website 1
          ---- Website 1 contents and folders
          ---- Website 1 contents and folders
      ---- Website 2
          ---- Website 2 contents and folders
          ---- Website 2 contents and folders

The first node of the content tree is for the root website you can use Manage Hostname for the second website and declaring the URL to be used there. You can use Manage Hostname by right clicking on the folder or content and choosing Mange Hostname. This works for me just fine.

Remember that the contents inside the folder that uses uses the Manage Hostname feature will get the same URL.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Harry

Aug 06, 2010 @ 08:22
    Kurniawan Kurniawan

How about the development point of view and maintanance point of view,
    Which one is easier to develop with 1 umbraco for multiple sites or just combine it...?
    as Far as I know you can't share the templates as well. so what is it for to combine those into 1 umbraco ?

After you change the domain. can you access it using your local development.. such as localhost ?
    forexample you change to application.mywebsite.com - how do you access locally on your development platform (.NET) ?

Thanks heaps

Aug 06, 2010 @ 08:38
    curlybub

Hi,

I think you need to setup the websites in IIS in order to run it on your local server. You can share templates. On a development and maintenance view, for me, having one umbraco installation is better since you can share templates, css, xslt, media files etc.

Regards,
    Harry

• Edi 5 posts 25 karma points
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 09:11
    Edi

Hello Harry,

but what if you get to run 10 websites or so under one umbraco.
    Are you not running into absolute chaos with all the templates, css, xslt, media files etc.. ?

How about installed packages, like Newsleter or so - are you able to differentiate between each Website?

In addition I am a bit worried, that it might lead to trouble with the users - will it be possible to create users that can only access & maintain their website?

Thanks,
    edi

Aug 06, 2010 @ 09:57
    Kurniawan Kurniawan

Thanks Guys..

May be some of stuff can be shared.. such as Templates, XSLT, etc...

But How about if we don't want to share...

such as The "MEMBER"..? for example.. we want to have a saperation of the member for each site...

btw anyone knows any documentation about creating a member login.. with umbraco...

Thanks...

Aug 06, 2010 @ 10:39
    curlybub

@Edi
    Multiple websites on one umbraco installation will depend on your needs AFAIK. I name my css and xlsts in a way that I will know where to use them e.g. (Website1NewsList.xslt and Website2NewsList.xslt) when it comes to media files I Put them on a folder named after the website that will be using them. This is how I manage multiple sites.

Yes, you can create a user that can only access a specific website, you can even restrict the media folders too.

@Kurniawan
    I dont know how to approach the members. Maybe the experts can help. That question is very interesting.

Regards,
    Harry

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 11:44
    Sascha Wolter

Hiya,

here is a recent discussion you might find interesting as well: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/10502-Still-can%27t-decide-which-is-better.

A great overview of how to create a member login can be found at http://www.mortenbock.dk/blog/2009/04/01/setting-up-membership-in-umbraco.aspx.

My 2 pence for the members question:

If you have to build 2 sites with a distinct set of members which should be separate and have nothing to with each other then use 2 Umbraco installations if there is not a very strong reason to go with one install e.g. you can share all the templates, css files etc. However that will most likely not be the case for 2 installations with distinct members. If you have 2 web sites in one Umbraco install and you want to provide different permissions for CMS and web site users you can do so via the permissions system for CMS users and by using member groups. E.g. on one of the web sites I have build gold members will be redirected to another page than silver or bronze members. You could even add a property on the members so you can tick for which site they will have access and authenticate/redirect via a custom .Net control.

Cheers,
    Sascha

Aug 09, 2010 @ 06:49
    curlybub

I agree with Sascha to have separate umbraco installation if you have different members for each site. This would allow you to have better control on their profiles. ;D

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft