Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• RoboDog 21 posts 41 karma points
    Aug 12, 2010 @ 12:38
    RoboDog

Lucene Index and case

Hi im having some issue with the lucene index. For example suppose i have a doctype called customer which in tern has a property called name, when i create a document and enter the name property as "John Doe" it is stored in the index as "john doe" how do i retain the correct casing ?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 12, 2010 @ 14:40
    Aaron Powell

This answer was originally posted here: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/10999-Examine-Questions?p=0#comment42951

You have to store both a case sensitive and case insensitive data as Lucene isn't really designed for data retrieval.

To do this with Examine you have to attach to the UmbracoExamine.LuceneExamineIndexer.DocumentWriting event (which may have moved into the LuceneEngine with the latest check ins, I'm not 100% sure).

This event is fired in a Lucene-scope as provides you with access to the Lucene Document object as it's being written to, and in which you'll need to add your un-analyzed version of the content.

Here's an example of how we did it in a recent project for showing in search results:

void indexer_DocumentWriting(object sender, DocumentWritingEventArgs e)
    {

var doc = e.Document;

// Find the title

string title = !e.Fields.ContainsKey("PageTitle") || string.IsNullOrEmpty(e.Fields["PageTitle"]) ? e.Fields["nodeName"] : e.Fields["PageTitle"];

// Default content is nothing:

string content = string.Empty;

// Unless a description is found:

if (e.Fields.ContainsKey("Description") && !string.IsNullOrEmpty(e.Fields["Description"]))

{
                    content
    = e.Fields["Description"];

}

// Or BodyContent is found:

else if (e.Fields.ContainsKey("BodyContent") && !string.IsNullOrEmpty(e.Fields["BodyContent"]))

{
                    content
    = e.Fields["BodyContent"];

}

// Store the title and content with text casing unchanged
            doc
    .Add(new Field("__PageTitle", title, Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.NOT_ANALYZED));
            doc
    .Add(new Field("__Content", content, Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.NOT_ANALYZED));
    }
    And when we display it in the search results we end up with showing the __PageTitle and __Content field, not the 'real' fields.
    Check out this article I wrote to better understand the Store and Index concepts: www.aaron-powell.com/documents-in-lucene-net

• RoboDog 21 posts 41 karma points
    Aug 12, 2010 @ 15:10
    RoboDog

Thats cool exactly what i was looking for :) one stupid question how / where do i attach to the event ? from within my code so that it executes when the index runs ?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 13, 2010 @ 01:06
    Aaron Powell

You can use ApplicationBase like it's an Umbraco event, or you can use a HttpModule and wire it up early in the life cycle.

I'd go with ApplicationBase personally.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft