Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Aug 20, 2010 @ 11:39
    Jonas Eriksson

RenderMacroContent, Xslt works - but not Python macros

Hi!

Short story : umbraco.library.RenderMacroContent does only work with Xslt macros, not with DLR ones. Any reason for that? ("Error loading DLR script" - nothing more, nothing in the log either)

Long story :

I have two uses for this:

Simple way to get data via a Macro with Base:

To be able to get data in a simple and conveniant way particularly from jQuery (for example autocompletes) I made a small Base class that renders a macro with name sent as a parameter (and it allows macro parameters aswell).

/Base/BaseMacros/Render/MyMacroName/1100/param1=1&param2=2

It works beautifully with Xslt macros, but it wont render Python macros, which is pretty sad, because that was what I was looking for in the first place.

Use Macro Content Data Type to let the editor select "Widgets"

I wanted to use that, but I need to render the macros in a macro since I like them to be able to add any number of Macros. Same thing here : Xslt works fine, but Python does not.

Regards / Jonas

Aug 20, 2010 @ 11:45
    Jonas Eriksson

Oh. Just found it documented in the source "Python and .ascx based macros will not render properly, as viewstate is not included". Ah, bummer. :-/ But hey, whats the need of Viewstates for Python macros? :-o

Aug 20, 2010 @ 15:06
    Jonas Eriksson

I'm trying to find out why umbraco.library.PythonExecuteFile does not work

This GetType in python.cs (umbraco.presentation) returns a null value

System.Type EngineType = asm.GetType("IronPython.Hosting.PythonEngine");

which gives us an error here

Engine = System.Activator.CreateInstance(EngineType);

I dont know any more, leaving it there for further research by me or anyone else.

Aug 20, 2010 @ 19:39
    Jonas Eriksson

I give up for now, not being sure I have the right source versions and dlls make this a battle against shadows. I need more knowledge of the source before tackling this once again.

I sincerely hope someone else will take a look at it though. Executing Python files from C# + from Base could be a winner thing. Imagine setting up and easy editing a simple Python script to return whatever dynamic content to jQuery.

Aug 21, 2010 @ 02:51
    Jonas Eriksson

Ah, stupid / stubborn of me. It's simple as render the macros within a very basic template with a macro that renders another macro, then everything works fine as Umbraco template engine takes care of everything for us. No need of Base for this.

/Happy again (3 o clock in the night) :)

So I created a python macro :

from umbraco import library
    macroTemplate = """ """
    macroAlias = library.RequestQueryString("macroAlias")
    pageId = library.RequestQueryString("pageId")
    # be careful not to run macros that are not supposed to be run this way
    # if macroAlias in ("DoRunThis", "DoRunThat", ...)
    print library.RenderMacroContent(macroTemplate.format(macroAlias=macroAlias), pageId)  

And called it from within an otherwise empty template named RenderMacro, after that I can use this url

www.mysite.com/RenderMacro?macroAlias=WhateverCoolMacro&pageId=1109

It's good for jQuery-stuff and also for a quick way to test macros (especially Python that does not have the visualizer).

• montana 42 posts 63 karma points
    Apr 12, 2011 @ 00:11
    montana

brilliant - thanks for this!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft