Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• frank-frank 22 posts 45 karma points
    Oct 15, 2010 @ 21:33
    frank-frank

fix width (or height) for generated thumbnails

Hi,

The upload data type allows to set a max width/height for the generated thumbnails.

However, the value you type in is taken for the longer side of the image - - therefore the max value you have set is applied to the width for landscape format images and accordingly to the height for portrait format images.

I need my thumbnails always to be e.g. 100px width, no matter whether I have landscape or portrait format. The height shall be proportional.

Vice versa, it would be great if I could set a fix height for the generated thumbnails and the control generates the thumbnail image with the corresponding dynamic width.

I believe that the upload data type (how it works now for generating thumbs) makes not much sense because you can never rely on a fixed width (or height) for all your images.

May be I just don't have learned how to use the settings for the upload data type correctly? - - I appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks.

Regards

Frank

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 17, 2010 @ 10:45
    Dirk De Grave

Use ImageGen in combination with what you've got now. And if that's not enough, have a look at the built-in image cropper datatype or this project.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Oct 17, 2010 @ 15:58
    frank-frank

Thanks Dirk,

I'll check'em all out.

Cheers

Frank

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:49
    Rik Helsen

The cropperdatatype is a bit buggy, you need to save each image twice, and selecting a crop is required:

imagegen always autoselects the largest possible part of the image, imagecropper on the other hand the actually selects the dimensions you want as a crop, deleting most of the image and requiring manual selection of the desired area...

Oct 18, 2010 @ 19:48
    frank-frank

Thanks for the input, Rik.

And ... I believe if the cropper datatype is not working 100% then it is definitely not a candidate I can use for clients who want edit content themselves because ... in the end ... I cannot explain to them that they must be careful with some features .... like saving twice.

The idea of the cropper datatype is great and I hope it will be developed further.

I like Imagegen a lot, however, I haven't enough done with it yet to see its capabilities in full. It's promising though and good work.

Anyhow, I still believe that the core UPLOAD datatype needs a little tweak to work better for designers: Instead of the fact that the upload datatype applies the setting of maximum width/height simply to the longer side of the image it should give the developer the choice to instruct it if the max. value should be applied to either HEIGHT OR WIDTH. ... Just because I can already hear clients ask: "Is that image a little less wide than the one next to it? Can we make them equal? ... and so on...

Cheers,

Frank

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 09:10
    Rik Helsen

Frank-Frank: look at the (payed) pro version of imagegen, it allows a lot of the features that you are looking for: http://www.percipientstudios.com/imagegen/features.aspx

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft