Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eduardo 106 posts 130 karma points
    Nov 09, 2010 @ 19:56
    Eduardo

Problems creating a new section in the backend

Hi,

I was trying to implement a new section in the Umbraco backend when I realized that:

- The title of the page states 'undefined'.

- Somehow the style I wrote for the icon(the image section) isn't showing correctly.

- When the new section shows (after clicking on the icon), Umbraco is displaying three nodes, the parent node (with the correct name) and its two children but, the text caption of the children icon is the sum of the two children nodes text captions. (weird!).

I followed this tutorial: http://www.geckonewmedia.com/blog/2009/8/3/how-to-create-a-custom-section-in-umbraco-4

Thanks beforehand.

Sincere regards,
    Eduardo Macho

• Ed Bishop 53 posts 203 karma points
    Nov 10, 2010 @ 09:43
    Ed Bishop

Hi

I need to know exactly the same thing. I followed the same artice to the same end result. Undefined in the browser title bar. I corrected the icon by making it have a white background instead of a transparent one.

Cheers,

Ed

Nov 10, 2010 @ 16:38
    Eduardo

Hi Ed,

I followed the steps given in the blog but, the result is not the same as showed in it.

I think it must be a tutorial for an older version of Umbraco. I am going to do some research by myself, whenever I find any clue I will tell you.

Sincere regards,
    EduardoMacho
    http:www.be-computed.com

• Ed Bishop 53 posts 203 karma points
    Nov 10, 2010 @ 16:39
    Ed Bishop

It works fine for me now in every way except the "undefined" in the browser title bar. I wish I could figure out what causes that...

Cheers,

Ed

Nov 10, 2010 @ 16:45
    Eduardo

Ed,

Is the "<li>" element catching the style correctly? would you like to sahre the code with me please?

Thanks beforehand.

Regards,
    Eduardo Macho

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 10, 2010 @ 17:48
    Tim

@ed, you need to define the section in the language file for the section you created. The file is in /umbraco/config/lang/[language code].xml, where the code is you're language (so en.xml is the english one for example).

Open the file in an editor, and look for the section <area alias="sections"> and add a new entry for your tree, using the tree lias for the Alias, and the text you'd like to apear in the title as the value of the node. You may need to restart IIS to get it to take effect (I can't actually remember), and refresh the page, and you should see the title displayed instead of [undefined].

Hope that helps!

:)

Nov 10, 2010 @ 17:59
    Eduardo

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your answer.

I did it.

Sincere regards,
    Eduardo

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: