Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sajid Riaz 142 posts 165 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:08
    Sajid Riaz

Membership

Hi,

Can some one help me understand the umbraco users and members folders.

I created a user in the users section and gave it a type of Administrator.  However I don't see Administrator under the usertypes node.  All I see is user, editor and translator.

When i go into the members area I create a new membertype. I then create a new member and assign the new membertype.  I can also see password here.

So I'm a bit confused...firstly whats the correct way to add users is it via  the users folder or the members folder?

I would like to get ASP.NET Login controls functioning with umbraco.  So my question is geared around this.

any help is much appreciated.

thanks

• Bill 81 posts 83 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:11
  • Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:15
    Rich Green

Umbraco Users and members are often confused, Dirk has a good explanation here http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/5375-User-vs-Member-Best-Practice

Administrators do not have a user type associated to them, I guess as they are a special case.

Hope that helps

Rich

Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:26
    Sajid Riaz

Hi Guys thanks for yr prompt replies.

from what I 've read users can only access the admin backend. and the asp.net login controls are used to allow members to login in.  If I'm wrong please correct me.

What I wanted to do was create a login where the admion of an umbraco website would login via asp.net login control and access the back end.

So If I'm wright this is not possible.

Is there any way where I can have a custom login page that matches the website design to access umbraco.aspx, the backend.

thanks

Nov 15, 2010 @ 16:17
    Sajid Riaz

Hi Bill,

the link you gave me explains alot:

www.mortenbock.dk/.../...embership-in-umbraco.aspx

Does anyone know how the The Member Area page which has Public Access, is created

thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft