Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sam 184 posts 209 karma points
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 09:51
    Sam

Adding trailing "/" after flat URL

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the various instructions on how to take off the .aspx from the end of URL's and I have managed to do that using the method on the bottom of this page:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/setting-up-umbraco-for-friendly-urls

• Set the umbracoUseDirectoryUrls key on true;
    • Locate <httpModules> node and add a single attribute preCondition into the UrlRewriteModule node; it is required that the attribute is empty. Your entry should look like this: <add name="UrlRewriteModule" type="UrlRewritingNet.Web.UrlRewriteModule, UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter" preCondition="" />

This works fine but I needed to add a trailing "/" on the end instead

ie www.mysite.com/home/

rather than

www.mysite.com/home (I have this at present)

I have read various topics but I'm still confused as to whether this is a 301 redirect thing or I have to change the rewrite rules? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can also see the issue with SEO and duplicate content:

ie www.mysite.com, www.mysite.com/home, www.mysite.com/home/ and www.mysite.com/home.aspx are all the same?! How do you get round this?

Any help or links to topics I've missed would be great. Thanks in advance :)

Nov 26, 2010 @ 09:53
    Sam

Sorry, posted this twice and the other thread wont delete? I get the 'thread deleted' page and then back on the forum, it's still there.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 10:29
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Sam,

The quickest and "easiest for SEO" way around this is to use a canonical link to specify the URL.

Take a look at the Canonical meta link package - or roll your own?

As for doing it the "proper way" - there are a few options, but all revolve around URL rewriting.  You could use the built-in UrlRewriting.net (via the /config/UrlRewriting.config), or using IIS7 rewrite rules (via the Web.config) ... or use something else? e.g. an ISAPI_Rewrite module to make use of .htaccess files (often easier because there are LOADS of .htaccess examples out there!)

Cheers, Lee.

Nov 26, 2010 @ 17:02
    Sam

Thanks Lee,

I'll give it a shot via web.config. Not 100% where to put the rules though, will experiment.

Sam.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 17:06
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Sam,

There's an introduction article over on IIS.net: http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/460/using-the-url-rewrite-module/

It was written a couple of years ago - just before IIS7 was release, so it does reference the module as a download, but ignore that, as it is a part of IIS7 now!

Cheers, Lee.

Nov 27, 2010 @ 11:03
    Sam

This works for me just fine:

<rule name="Add trailing slash" stopProcessing="true">
                            <match url="(.*[^/])$" ignoreCase="true" />
                            <conditions>
                                <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" negate="true" />
                                <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" negate="true" />
                                <add input="{REQUEST_URI}" pattern="^/umbraco/" negate="true" />
                                <add input="{URL}" pattern="^.*\.(asp|aspx|axd|asmx|css|js|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|mp3)$" negate="true" ignoreCase="true" />
                                <add input="{URL}" pattern="/Base" negate="true" />
                                <add input="{URL}" pattern="cdv=1" negate="true" />
                            </conditions>
                            <action type="Redirect" redirectType="Permanent" url="{R:1}/" />
                        </rule>

Thanks for the help Lee and the link/info, will read up more about it for future reference :)

Regards,

Sam.

• Max Öhman 42 posts 71 karma points
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 14:37
    Max Öhman

Thanks this helped me!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft