Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• overflew 87 posts 110 karma points
    Dec 07, 2010 @ 02:30
    overflew

Umbraco Examine - Determining an appropriate 'interval' value for a large site?

Hi there. How would I go about determining an appropriate value for the 'interval' (period of time it waits to scan for new records), for a site with approx. 20k nodes?

This is for the default Internal index, which out of the box is 10 seconds. At the moment, I'm seeing a lot of entries in the log with:

[UmbracoExamine] Cannot index queue items, another indexing operation is currently in progress,

Is there any harm in raising it too high? Will I just have to roll with trial & error?

We've also had our Examine cache crash a few times - Is there any way to figure out how long it takes to rebuild? Is clearing it out the best way to go about it? Is it capable of rebuilding itself after a fresh publish?

Thanks.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 07, 2010 @ 11:54
    Aaron Powell

I believe that error comes from when examine doesn't clean up itself and the Lucene lock file is still hanging around, nothing to do with the interval.

Also, the interval isn't to do with how often the indexing occurs it's how often the file system watcher checks to see if there are new files to index.

• overflew 87 posts 110 karma points
    Dec 07, 2010 @ 19:43
    overflew

Cheers Slace.

Regarding the error + lock file - How do I clean it up manually, and what steps can I take to stop it from locking?

Our client is reporting that the search dies (e.g. Stops returning results, and no JS / AJAX errors underneath) - Would this be caused by the same thing?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 07, 2010 @ 22:08
    Aaron Powell

i think the file is called writer.lock, just delete that one.

I can't tell you what's causing the search to die on your site, check the server response with something like Fiddler, Charles or browser-level monitors.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft