Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graeme Paul 44 posts 64 karma points
    Dec 31, 2010 @ 13:51
    Graeme Paul

Umbraco with Microsoft Commerce Server

Has anyone here had any experience of implementing umbraco with the microsoft commerce server 2007 platform?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Dec 31, 2010 @ 14:39
    Morten Bock

We have created a few sites using Commerce server as backend, and Umbraco as the CMS. It is not too different from building a regular website, I would say. We're using UrlRewriting to fetch categories/products from CS, and displaying them on an umbraco page.

For example, wh would have an umbraco page at the url

/catalog.aspx

The when a url like this is requested like this:

/catalog/SomeCategory/SomeProduct.aspx

we would rewrite it like this:

/catalog.aspx?category=SomeCategory&product=SomeProduct

This way we keep an umbraco context so that things like $currentPage still works.

Is there any specific things you are thinking of? Every ecommerce site is different, so I'm not sure which parts you are concerned about?

Jan 19, 2011 @ 17:38
    Graeme Paul

Thanks for the reply Morten, sorry for my slow response.Were trying to implement umbraco with commerce server atm, my first question would be:

Can umbraco work in a stateless environment or be configured to use SQLserver only?

Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:57
    Morten Bock

No sure what you mean? Do you mean running with no viewstate? We have done that on the sites that I have worked on.

I have to start by saying that I am no Commerce Server guru myself, and have mostly worked with the website part of things, but as far as I am told, it is no different from building a regular .aspx site, with regards to integrating Commerce Server.

Jan 20, 2011 @ 10:46
    Graeme Paul

Thank you for your prompt reply.  Sorry I was a bit vague in my previous post.  I’m enquiring about server side session state rather than view state.  Our web site does not use any form of session state as our load balancing cannot be configured to Sticky State.  Your default configuration below is set to “InProc”, can this be set to “Off” or “SQLServer”?

<sessionState mode="InProc" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes" cookieless="false" timeout="20" />

Thanks

Jan 20, 2011 @ 12:50
    Graeme Paul

Also Is it possible to add Umbraco version 4x to an existing site that already uses another membership provider for authentication?

We currently use a UPM membership provider in conjunction with the Commerce Server Profile system to remember and authenticate users for secure areas of the site. Umbraco 4.x also uses the ASP.NET Membership Provider.

Jan 20, 2011 @ 23:06
    Morten Bock

I just took a quick look at the source, and it seems that Umbraco does use the HttpContext.Session in a few places, but it is not widespread. As far as I can tell, the only things that rely on it is LiveEditing, a Macrocontainer dataype and the Python macro renderer. So I would say that it only needs to be enabled if you plan on using the umbraco admin interface.

As you may have seen, the best practice is to have a single server be the "Editing" server, so you could just leave it at InProc on that server, and make sure that editors only use that.

With regards to membership providers, Umbraco works with two different types. The one for Members, and the one for (backoffice)Users. They are separate, and you can change the provider used on the website, without changing the one used in the backoffice. Does that answer your question?

Feb 03, 2011 @ 18:23
    Graeme Paul

Are all content managed pages channelled through the default.aspx page (the one in the root not the one in the umbraco directory)?  We are trying to introduce content managed pages to an existing site but want to exclude our default.aspx page as this already has a master page and numerous user controls.  I have tried adding it to umbracoReservedUrls with no luck.  Is it possible to configure Umbraco to use a different page to that of default.aspx?

Feb 03, 2011 @ 20:44
    Morten Bock

Yes, all pages are routed to default.aspx. Behind the scenes the are rewritten to something like "/default.aspx?umbPage=/some/page/url".

I currently don't have any good suggestions on how to solve it. Maybe by running Umbraco in a virtual directory? However that would mean you had to have all the cms pages inside one specific url folder.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft