Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rafe 21 posts 42 karma points
    Jan 31, 2011 @ 20:44
    Rafe

Can Examine index content that lives in a template or a macro?

Hi everyone!

I've reviewed all the documentation I can find on configuring Examine, but haven't found how to make it index content that lives in a template or a macro. So far I only see that you can have it index a documents properties, but not the full content of a page that gets rendered.

Can anyone confirm that it is possible to index content that is generated from a template, or from a macro? And if it is possible, then pointe me in the direction of how I might do it?

Cheers!

Rafe

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 01, 2011 @ 10:34
    Ismail Mayat

Rafe,

Not out of the box. I guess you would need to get the indexing to work via a crawler method. You would need to write or find something todo it then you could query the index using examine?  Take a look at http://www.bitethebullet.co.uk/Lucene.Net_Spider.aspx its an opensource spider not sure how old it is.

Regards

Ismail

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 01, 2011 @ 13:21
    Ismail Mayat

Rafe,

I had a quick play with this, had to update the lucene.net ref to 1.9.0 latest umbraco use 2.0 and managed to create an index.  It stores all content in field called content also rips out title and meta data tags.  It currently only handles html content but could easily be updated to handle word/pdf.  Also it uses regex to pull out the html content and would recommend ripping that out and using htmlagility pack which is way better. 

Only issue with is that its not real time you would have to schedule to run on a daily basis unless you wrote action handler to spider page after publish then index would be upto date.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft