Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason 5 posts 25 karma points
    Feb 18, 2011 @ 18:03
    Jason

Umbraco 4.6.1 and Tree node names vs page URLs

Hi all, 

This is my first post, so I want to start by saying I am very new to Umbraco but I already thoroughly love this product.  I would greatly apprectiate some advice on how to potentially solve a puzzle I've encountered.  

Please forgive me if this is overly wordy, but given my relative lack of knowledge of Umbraco and it's common terminolgy I want to try to be as clear as possible.  I suspect my problem can be solved 16 different ways, so I guess I'm looking for advice on which might be the most adventagious way to go.  

Umbraco, by default, appears to work in such a way that the "node name" in the content tree is tied directly to the subsequent urlrewrite page name that you see in the browser address bar.

So if in my content tree I have the following pages defined:

When I browse to the "Leadership" page, my URL looks like this:

http://my.website.com/about-us/leadership.aspx

For SEO Reasons, I have been asked to make the url for the "Leadership page" look something like this instead: 

http://my.website.com/about-us/cityname-companyname-leadership-team.aspx

I've done enough research so far to know I could:

• change the name of the node to "cityname-companyname-leadership-team" (which is very ugly as you can see)
    • configure the built in urlrewrite logic to translate the node "Leadership" to "cityname-companyname-leadership-team."  This one is compelling and I might fall back on this, but I would have to add a new rewrite rule for every single page whenever my customers add a new page to their website.
    I have thought of two ideal solutions, but I have no idea if it's realistic or maybe there is a much simpler solution and I'm making this way to hard on myself.  They look like this:
    • Name the page in umbraco, "cityname-companyname-leadership-team" but find a way to rename the node in the tree to something intuitive like, "Leadership"
    • Name the page in umbraco "Leadership" but find a way to have the URL get created dynamically based on the value in a field for that page like this: 
    I know people have asked questions very simular or close to this, but I have searched and searched and nothing has clicked for me.  I really appreciate your advice and hope that I've explained this thoroughly enough that it will help others who might have been circling this issue as well.
    Regards,
    jason

• Profiterole 232 posts 264 karma points
    Feb 18, 2011 @ 18:55
    Profiterole

Hi, search for umbracoUrlAlias, this is a built in url alias property.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 18, 2011 @ 18:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jason

I think you could benefit from using the umbracoUrlName alias in this case.

When you make a textstring property and assign the alias with the above name you get a textfield where you can write one or more alternative url names.

You can read more about it here - umbracoUrlName

Is this what you're after?

And welcome to the fun world of Umbraco by the way ;-)

/Jan

• Profiterole 232 posts 264 karma points
    Feb 18, 2011 @ 22:08
    Profiterole

Jason, as you can see, Umbraco has a great community... and some know more than others! Thank you Jan, I know there was something like umbracoUrlName, but I tought it was umbracoUrlAlias!!

Hope it helps you Jason!

Feb 19, 2011 @ 19:24
    Jason

I'm speechless.  You guys are AWESOME!  That was EXACTLY the kind of thing I was hoping umbraco had but I just could seem to find.  Thank you all very much for the quick, polite, and specific answer to my problem.  Hopefully in a few months I'll be knowledgable enough to start returning the favor.  If it helps, I've already evangalised Umbraco to 3 different companies I work with, and this just makes it that much easier. 

Thanks again!

jason

Feb 19, 2011 @ 19:33
    Jason

Hah, I'm so new it won't let me "high five" your answer.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft