Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean 141 posts 179 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 07:29
    Sean

Secure pages In umbraco?

Hi there, I'm needing to extend umbraco by having certain pages using SSL. Is this possible to do? Or do I need to create separate folders and pages? Thanks in advance. Sean

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 07:31
  • Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 07:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

I think that should be possible using the Force SSL package - however I don't know if this package is compatible with v4.5 > - On the package page it says that it's compatible with the v4.0.x XML schema - But according to this document http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/packaging/umbraco-45-compatibility/umbraco-45-package-testing it has not been tested yet, so it could easily be that it works on newer versions.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 24, 2011 @ 10:25
    Sean

Are these the only solutions out there? mmm. I'm able to override the URL rewriter aren't I? I'll probably need to do this to have pages independant of the umbraco CMS. Is there a post on how to do this instead of using an unproven solution?

Feb 24, 2011 @ 10:31
    Sean

Are these the only solutions out there? mmm. I'm able to override the URL rewriter aren't I? I'll probably need to do this to have pages independant of the umbraco CMS. Is there a post on how to do this instead of using an unproven solution?

• Tony 12 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 11:04
    Tony

We are running sites on SSL but it's not perfect.  It appears MUCH better if the site is ALL and ONLY ssl and not partly, which is not what we are doing.

However, if you are using User controls and SSL for the admin functions there is a problem with performance.  The page seems to time out before rendering.  This is hopefully something that is being looked at?

Tony

Feb 24, 2011 @ 11:41
    Sean

Hi Tony,

That's a interesting point you made about SSL. I'm at a loss as to what I should do. This is my first site using umbraco. I may have to make the whole site SSL.

Jan, do you have a comment on this?

• Tony 12 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 11:44
    Tony

You should also read this....and vote!

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/27438

Feb 24, 2011 @ 12:07
    Sean

Done and done! I'm looking forward to pulling my hair our over this one! :P

Feb 24, 2011 @ 21:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

Unfortunately I don't have any further suggestions on how you can achieve this. But perhaps you have found a workaround/solution already? :)

/Jan

Feb 24, 2011 @ 22:03
    Sean

Hi Jan, the only work around I can think of is to create the pages in a sub directory outside of umbraco. This probably should be in a different thread. How to I exclude folders from the umbraco URL rewriter? Is there a config setting or something like that? Sean

Feb 24, 2011 @ 22:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

Well that sounds like an option.

In the web.config you can add the folder and pages to these sections

<add key="umbracoReservedUrls" value="~/config/splashes/booting.aspx,~/install/default.aspx,~/config/splashes/noNodes.aspx" />
        <add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/" />

Perhaps you can just add the folder to the umbracoReservedPaths to make sure Umbraco does not try to fetch the url when you're browsing pages from that specific folder.

Hope it makes sense? :-)

/Jan

Feb 26, 2011 @ 05:44
    Sean

Hi Jan,

I managed to create another page using the method you described above. It works fine with the execept it only shows the home link for the navigation. I think it could be the navigation macro and something to do with it being outside umbraco.

Are you able to take a look at the syntax for me please?

Sean

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
        <!ENTITY nbsp "&#x00A0;">
    ]>
    <xsl:stylesheet
      version="1.0"
      xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
      xmlns:msxml="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
      xmlns:umbraco.library="urn:umbraco.library"
      exclude-result-prefixes="msxml umbraco.library">

<xsl:output method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes" />

<xsl:param name="currentPage"/>

<!-- Input the documenttype you want here -->
        <xsl:variable name="level" select="1"/>

<xsl:template match="/">

<ul>
           <li>
             <xsl:if test="$currentPage/@id = $currentPage/ancestor-or-self::* [@level=$level]/@id">
                 <xsl:attribute name="class">home current</xsl:attribute>
             </xsl:if>
             <a href="/">Home</a>
           </li>
          <xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/ancestor-or-self::* [@level=$level]/* [@isDoc and string(umbracoNaviHide) != '1']">
      <li>
         <xsl:if test="@id = $currentPage/@id">
            <xsl:attribute name="class">current</xsl:attribute>
          </xsl:if>
        <a href="{umbraco.library:NiceUrl(@id)}">
          <span><xsl:value-of select="@nodeName"/></span>
        </a>
      </li>

</xsl:for-each>
    </ul>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Feb 26, 2011 @ 08:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

The syntax looks fine. And for pages inside Umbraco it should work.

But I'm not sure you're able to create navigation on a page that does not exist in Umbraco like this.

I think you'll need to create the navigation statically on the page outside of Umbraco unfortunately...if it's many pages then it can be a hard task administrating if there is created a lot of new content that also needs to be accessible from the pages outside of Umbraco.

/Jan

Feb 26, 2011 @ 21:15
    Sean

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your patience with me on this one. I had an epfiany last night. I should be able to generate and xml file of the navigation right? If I can do that I'll be able to use the structure from umbraco no problem.

I think this post is done now, I'll create a thread in the API group.

Sean

Feb 26, 2011 @ 21:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

You're welcome - I'm here to help :-)

And yes, you are indeed able to make an XSLT file of the navigation. Actually that's a pretty good idea you came up with! :-)

As I see it you can do it either using a XSLT macro, which you place in a template and instead of a HTML doctype you insert the XML prolog before the XSLT macro that should generate the navigation elements. Then you can access the XML document by going to www.yourdomain.com/yourxmltemplate.aspx (the alias of the template should be used so you can access the template directly).

Or you can probably generate the navigation XML using Base, which you can read more about here:http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-base

I hope this makes sense to you.

/Jan

Mar 06, 2011 @ 03:45
    Sean

HI All,

I just wanted to post the workaround that I used for this. I hope that someone will get some benefit from it.

1. I created a user control.
    2. I added a 301 redirect into the user control's page load method.
    3. I created a folder under the root of my websites folder and put an .aspx page in it. This is where I'm redirecting to.
    4. I then created a macro inside umbraco to use the user control.
    5. I added the macro into the template that my secure page is using.

Now you're able to redirect to a secure URL or any URL for than matter quite easily. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions out there, but I had very little time, so this is the one that suited me.

Sean

• Greg Berlin 818 posts 634 karma points
    Jan 23, 2013 @ 22:36
    Greg Berlin

I've implemented SecuritySwitch to achieve this.. works a treat :)

http://code.google.com/p/securityswitch

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft